The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

last alternator question PLEASE HELP

yeti

OK ALTERNATORS OUT but i dont have the rigt replacement the one i got off my friend has a 4 prong plug and the one for my car has a 2 prong plug

my question is what alternators (other than the gvr4) should i look for at the junkyard
that will work as a replacement

PLEASE ANY INFO HELPS

Diego

Hyundai's, ANY DSM. You don't just have to LOOK for GVR4 specific replacement parts unless they're absolutly neccesary.

It took 2~3 weeks to get a alternator out?

yeti

dsm as in any mitsubishi 91 and down and any chrysler 91 and down ...turbo or N/A does it matter?

im preety much just gonna bring the old one in and look round

and no that is how busy and STUPID i am TO TAKE IT THREE weeks but i just started tonight i was still driving before today AND the job is half done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Last edited:

Diego

^ my alt came from a 2.0 hyundai..... non turbo.

It holds peak fine.

91 and down???? You DON'T have to have a 91 or earlier SPECIFIC alternator.... 95 and up is a concern as I'm almost positive they are the 4 plug terminals.....

So let's get a list here:
89~94.5
Eagle Talon
Mitsu Eclipse
Plymouth Laser

Ill find more and update this for you.. MAN I HOPE you get this figured out.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Diego,

I think you've dead on about the years, but I think there's a little more to the interchange.

Like you said, the 89 - 94 dsms will all bolt right up, and will plug right in.

However, I believe there's different ratings for the various models, and to the best of my knowledge;

1g dsm's equipped with manual transmissions came stock with 65 amp units.

1g dsm's equipped with automatic transmissions came stock with 75 amp units.

I'm not completely sure about the factory Galant fitment, but all the ones I've ever grabbed off an 89 - 93 Galant at a yard have been the 90 amp units. I like to grab the ones off non turbo cars, as they haven't been baked/abused by the heat of the turbo and exhaust.

That said, the actual rated output isn;t near as important as the unit's actual condition.

If you have deleted the a/c, a 75 amp alternator will do just fine.

I'd rather have a low mile healthy 75 amp unit than a hi mile 90 amp unit that has been "cooled" with power steering fluid for the last hundred thousand miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

edit

Nice looking out on the link! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Diego

^ Great point. A/C isn't deleted just taken off on my car therefore like you stated a 75A wlll do just fine.

Wasn't aware of the Galants containing a 90A output, would be an awesome "overclock" feature for the people w/o PS,AC and such.

You've got three basic alternators out there. 65 amp, 75 amp, and 95 amp. The 95 amp was factory on the GVR4, this is also the least common and most expensive. The 75 amp was factory on 1G's with automatic transmissions, regardless if it was turbo or not. The 65 amp was factory on 1G's with manual transmissions, regardless if it was turbo or not. the 65 and 75 amp alternators are very common and less expensive. Unless you have some massive power draw such as a huge sound system, you'll be just fine running a 75 amp version. I've been doing it for 4 years on the same alternator. Hyundai elantra's and sonota's are good candidates for alternators as well. You'll know if you find one in the junkyard because it will look like a non turbo 4g63 in a Hyundai.

EDIT. After reading toybreakers post, I do remember that the galants are 90 amp, not 95.

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Cool deal!

Put on a sad face, and be sure to emphasize you really wanted a 90 amp unit off a GalantVr4.

He might just knock a couple of bucks off ...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"*sniff*, *sniff* is that the only one you have, *sniff* *sniff*"

(...bonus points if you can get a little tear rolling done one cheek ...)

Most guys that work in the yards have a really good sense of humour, and will remember well played antics, especially if you waaaay overplay things.

They will also remember you, and be more willing to be helpfull in the future.

"oh,man here comes that poor guy that got stuck with one of the slower colors, be sure to hook him up" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

I got an NSA alternator after constantly getting broken ones from Ebay and the junk yard. It wsa such a pain to swap the alternator (especially with an external wastegate)...draining the radiator multiple times etc. It cost me more money and time buying used than buying the NSA. The neat thing about the NSA is that it shows you the test results for the alternator (mine was tested at 98 amps) and has a 2 year (I think warranty). That beat the heck out of the lifetime warranties I got locally at autozone for remans etc. I'd put the autozone alternator on and it would break in 5 minutes. Then I would have to wait another day for them to ship a new one to the store because they wouldn't stock the 90 amp. I am very happy with the NSA so far, although I have only had it for about 8 months.

yeti

SO.....

went to all japenese i got the right alternator looks just like the one i pulled out..................

but its dead

so i will be going back tomarrow

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

this guy from romania or someplace like that was just trying to convince me to clean it and it would work fine

Last edited:

Yep...going back getting used parts isn't always cost effective based upon the time taken up and your gas money. To each their own. I hope your luck gets better. Mine didn't!

steve

Maybe I missed something but why aren't you just buying a new one, or a Vatozone rebuild with lifetime warranty? Some people have bad luck with the Vatozone units and it's takes a few tries before they get one that lasts. But you're getting good at the swap anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess I was lucky my first Autozone unit worked fine and never died on me.

yeti

I don't have enough money for a new one. And I get it checked at kragen right after

But they are closed Sunday so that's not happening today

Hopefully 1292/2000 will be on the road tommarow

I know what you mean. I have been down that road and I figured that was what was happening. There are no Kragens out here, but I don't trust those machines or the people behind them. Seems like they have an incentive to lie and say that your part is bad or may not be competent enough to tell you that it is good etc. That is what seems to happen out here. Good luck, I am in your shoes and have been in your shoes. Let us know how you make out.

Some things you just don't buy used. Like brakes............and alternator's. I wouldn't throw money away on used one's for sure. Good luck

KiNgMaRtY

I agree, a new one or remanufactured one is your bes bet. it's a Pita to have to constantly keep changing it

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts