The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I finally made it here...

LUNARFX

So I’ve finally made my way to making an introduction thread. My name is Ernie and have acquired #924/2000 last year.
7.gif
It was owned by a friend of mine and had good intentions of autocrossing the car.

DSCF0966.jpg

DSCF0965.jpg

Well, after the previous owner replaced the clutch, transmission, and doing minor suspension and exhaust modifications, the water pump failed shortly after. He was at a point on whether to continue sinking money into it, or move on to another hobby. He moved on to the Volvo-side of the world. It sat on the side of his house for almost 3 years until I found out he was thinking about selling it. I had never even thought about getting a GVR4 ever, but knew that they shared the 4G63 motor to the DSM’s. After talking with my friend, he said he had many offers in the past for it, and just couldn’t see it going to a ricer, or getting parted out. He knows my history and gave me the opportunity that he said he wouldn’t give to others, because he knew it would fall in good hands. So after talking it over, I paid $2000 for it in four easy installments.
8.gif

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 #924/2000
Mileage: Around 125,000(no OEM gauge cluster so who really knows)
• Odyssey battery
• K&N intake
• KYB AGX
• H&R springs
• 3” testpipe
• 3” Megan Racing exhaust
• EVO wing
• 2 sets of OEM wheels and tires
• 2 sets of JDM Taillights
• JDM corner lights
• SBR Clutch Kit
• Rebuilt transmission with less than 10,000 miles
• 4WS still in tact
• Brand new AMS FMIC in the box
• A ton of miscellaneous parts like an extra fender stored in the GVR4 and inside the house and stuff I probably didn’t see in there.

He did pull the seats and stored them indoors while he was stripping the interior to take all the sound deadening crap off. I have most of the interior pieces in my closet now. I checked for rust everywhere and couldn’t find any.
14.gif
I risked my life searching on the undercarriage hoping a frog or snake wasn’t going to appear while I checked for rust or hidden damages.
3.gif
I inspected the body lines to make sure they all still closed and everything was ship shape. The latches work to the hood and trunk, and doors closed like they are expected. The door jams looked good with no signs of rust and the same results when I checked around the gas filler. It does have a slight crack on the front windshield, so that will definitely have to be replaced.

So here comes the pictures…
tttpopc1.gif

Where it’s sat for years…
IMG_4854-1.jpg

The lines looked pretty straight to me…
IMG_4855-1.jpg

IMG_4856-1.jpg

Needs a little TLC…
IMG_4859-1.jpg

No rust and still has the OEM labels…
IMG_4861-1.jpg

IMG_4862-1.jpg

IMG_4863-1.jpg

I popped in the corner light while I was there. I’m still learning and don’t know which version these are…
IMG_4864-1.jpg

Switches still look good…
IMG_4866-1.jpg

Rough, but I can do some magic to get it back to looking sharp…
IMG_4867-1.jpg

IMG_4868-1.jpg

IMG_4870-2.jpg

Fits like a glove…
IMG_4871-1.jpg

Checking to make sure the levers at least click…
IMG_4872-1.jpg

The sunroof assembly still looks pretty decent and no signs of leaks…
IMG_4873-1.jpg

IMG_4875-1.jpg

I am unfortunately NOT fond of the EVO wing…
IMG_4876-2.jpg

The trunk…
IMG_4877-1.jpg

JDM gauges…
IMG_4878-1.jpg

Megan 3” exhaust…
IMG_4881-1.jpg

Right side looked good…
IMG_4882-1.jpg

IMG_4883-1.jpg

IMG_4885-1.jpg

My girlfriend checkin’ out the new grocery gitter…
IMG_4886-1.jpg

The poor clear peeling off the roof…
IMG_4887-1.jpg

A few of the documentation of the transmission rebuild…

IMG_4891-1.jpg

IMG_4892-1.jpg

I had not done anything to it for about a year, because we were pretty busy buying a new house and hosting the last Southeast Regional 4G63 Meet. Around the beginning of summer I finally had it towed to one of my best friend’s house and dropped the engine and transmission out.

IMAG0033.jpg

The tow truck driver was determined to get it out of the soft dirt/mud/grass. Notice the rear wheel off the grass!

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

Off to my friend’s house...

IMAG0038-1.jpg

Rolling it in...

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

GVR4.jpg

After a few weeks, we dropped the engine and transmission, and I had it sent to my friend’s shop to get painted back to the OEM Summit White...

IMAG0144-1.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0145-1.jpg

And that’s about as far as I’ve gone. I’m currently getting all the fun stuff to do the timing belt job, take the head off to verify if it needs more work after it overheated years ago with the water pump failing. Maintenance before mods is always a big motto I follow, so hopefully this site will be of major help in cleaning her up as nice as our current DSM’s(pictures upon request). Thanks to raptorreed, bmxkid415, and 4Grim for inviting and being persistent in having me come on board. I’m an Administrator to DSM Purity, and have a ton of hobbies, so I normally have my hands full.
1.gif
Look forward to learning and meeting a ton of new people!

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

Welcome to the site & the club. It's gonna be a good looking car when your done no doubt, after you ditch the wing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Good luck on the resto!!!

OMFGeofffff

Welcome to the club and good luck with the restoration. Any lurkers out there take notes...that's how a first post is made.

LUNARFX

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Welcome to the site & the club. It's gonna be a good looking car when your done no doubt, after you ditch the wing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Good luck on the resto!!!

Thanks! I'm going to need the luck!

Quoting cherrod8:
Welcome man, I joined Purity last Nov. I think you know greg (95vadsm). I would have thought you were already apart of the org!

I was wondering where you had been? I hadn't seen you on there in a while. Been around DSM's since 1997, but the GVR4 world is all new to me!

Quoting rost:
Car looks nice,im kinda liking the evo wing.Welcome to the forums .

You can use the ironing board on the trunk. The St. Louis arch on my DSM looks better if I had to have one. Haha! Thanks for the welcome!

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
Welcome to the club and good luck with the restoration. Any lurkers out there take notes...that's how a first post is made.

I'm a visual kind of person with lots of smileys! Thanks for the welcome!!

Last edited:

alansupra94

LOL. Is that going to be your response to everyone OMFGeofffff?

I would check that odyssey battery. If it has been sitting for more than a year without a trickle charger, its most likely dead.

EDIT: I cussed unintentionally. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

^^ Yea.

Also adding to what he said. If you didn't know already when charging it put it on a low amp setting. Those odyssey's have been known to fail after being charged too fast and too long.

G

Staff member
Nice save.

DR1665

LunarFX... LunarFX... LunarFX... I don't recognize yer face, but I recognize yer handle.

Nice save.
Excellent first post.
Welcome to the family.

Yao

Another saved! good luck!

Jesh

welcome! good luck with the car, and yeah... definitely ditch the wing.

citymunky

Good luck with the car. It's kinda of cool to see the car that was numbered after my car (923/2000)

toybreaker

iconoclast
Welcome to the board, Ernie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I must say that was one of the best introduction threads I've ever read!

Looks like you know the value of good friends and getting the family involved in your projects.

From the look of things, I don't think #924 could have landed in better hands.

Good luck with your build, and keep us updated.

raptorWagon

About time Ernie!
Quoting DR1665:
LunarFX... LunarFX... LunarFX... I don't recognize yer face, but I recognize yer handle.

Nice save.
Excellent first post.
Welcome to the family.

Remember team-2g.com, Brian? He was a member there before too. Maybe you remember the car
His 97 GST
n507210335_1797858_1015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LUNARFX

Quoting alansupra94:
LOL. Is that going to be your response to everyone OMFGeofffff?

I would check that odyssey battery. If it has been sitting for more than a year without a trickle charger, its most likely dead.

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
^^ Yea.

Also adding to what he said. If you didn't know already when charging it put it on a low amp setting. Those odyssey's have been known to fail after being charged too fast and too long.

Thanks for looking out fellas! That's literally the last thing I'm worried about on getting it back roadworthy again. I'm a Store Manager of a Batteries Plus. I'll most likely relocate an Optima Battery in the trunk area when all is said and done.

Quoting G:
Nice save.

Thanks G. Someone had to do it.

Quoting DR1665:

Nice save.
Excellent first post.
Welcome to the family.

Brian! You don't remember when I first came on Team 2G just like this? A ton of pictures on most my posts! I know you remember Jason(slvr2gnt)! We're both Administrators on DSM Purity, and he says what's up. I text him as soon as I saw you respond. If you still don't remember me, here's my DSM...

3145785931_e5d7bf5277.jpg

3145785965_63ec7ca428.jpg

3145785989_bfc9965fb2.jpg

3146640694_5bcc18c670.jpg

3146653758_389ff5b57c.jpg

All my bars are color-matched Monarch Green Pearl now
3146643884_2ac0f8fed0.jpg

I've since upgraded to all Mishimoto products(radiator, fans, radiator cap w/built-in temp gauge)
3146649130_c65c56f66a.jpg

Maybe you'll remember my girlfriend SPYDR-QT??? She was on Team 2G too.

4740652325_67a307cbe7.jpg

4741295130_95d62c59cc.jpg

4740669957_2cb06565bb.jpg

3020713359_f5692bc0ec.jpg

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Welcome aboard! I used to own 924/1000, now my friend Dylan (dpuddy on the board) owns it. You guys should hang out.

Nice! Is he active here? I'm all about meeting fellow members. I'm a Capricorn, Asian, and like long walks on the beach...at night.

Quoting Yao:
Another saved! good luck!

I'm breaking in the Chinese Hut down the street and taking all their fortune cookies.

Quoting cherrod8:
Purity is full of picture whores so I expected many pics from you lol. Let me buy that wing!

Everytime I log onto Purity it seems glitchy and keeps logging me out. I tried today becauseI saw you here.

You can buy the wing. Hell, you can have it now if you want. Wait, do I have to have a minimum amount of posts before buying/selling anything? I'm not one to break the rules. Looks like you managed to post o.k. from what I saw. It shouldn't be glitchy?

Quoting BluFalcon:
Welcome aboard Ernie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woohoo! Hey Ed! Maybe I can keep up with yours on here just as well! Tell Amber she needs one of these when she gets the 1G up and running!

Quoting Jesh:
welcome! good luck with the car, and yeah... definitely ditch the wing.

I was actually hoping I wouldn't get ridiculed for wanting to take it off. I didn't know if it was some kind of heritage I was taking away.

Quoting citymunky:
Good luck with the car. It's kinda of cool to see the car that was numbered after my car (923/2000)

If you go to any Meets south of you, there's a good chance we may meet one day!

Quoting boostdtalon:
Welcome and good luck with the car. Seems like you got things in order and it should look great in no time soon.

I don't know about the "no time soon" as I am in no rush in getting it up and running. I can say you guys are all great inspiration and I really would like to keep the miles off the girls.

Quoting toybreaker:
Welcome to the board, Ernie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I must say that was one of the best introduction threads I've ever read!

Looks like you know the value of good friends and getting the family involved in your projects.

From the look of things, I don't think #924 could have landed in better hands.

Good luck with your build, and keep us updated.

Thanks for all the head's up you've given so far. My girlfriend is all gung-ho about getting Aiden (#924) up and running. She hit her head on the visor, trying to change into her costume with my 6-points Halloween night after work. Haha!

Quoting raptorreed:
About time Ernie!

I know I've been promising you for almost a year, and as soon as I posted all 526 pictures from my Meet, like promised I'd do an Introduction! Well, here I am! That picture brought back great memories of when we drove our DSM's to the Shootout from Florida!

Last edited:

raptorWagon

Quoting LUNARFX:

Wait, do I have to have a minimum amount of posts before buying/selling anything? I'm not one to break the rules

Answer to your question

Quoting Hertz:

Sellers:
1. If your title is "Newbie" you can not post here. Do not post your FS ads in other forums, as they will be deleted. If you'd like to post here, please establish yourself on the board by introducing yourself, assisting some other members or contributing wherever you can. You'll drop the Newbie title before you know it.

The rest of the Marketplace Rules: Click

The corner lights you have are the JDM Single bulbs.

citymunky

BTW does anybody know what grille is that? (The white one)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts