The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

screamer pipe benefits?

pmp285

im currently running an evo3 16g, but wuth a stock 2g o2 housing... obviously i need to change it... what do you guys recommend? stock evo3 o2 housing or screamer?

dmj

By screamer do you mean a o2 housing with an atmospheric dump pipe? I would just stick with an Evo 3 o2 housing unless you want to scare Honda drivers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

pmp285

yup... ayt.. ill wait for the others inputs.... honda drivers in our country are idiots.... they think my car is slow since its old... thats what they think

2of9

Quoting Dark_Horse:
Have you ridden in a car with an O2 dump? It's definitely something that you either love or hate.

This. I rode in Chim55117's gvr4 and man that external wastegate was loud. Probably gonna see how far I can push the e316g with it externally gated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

It's like VTEC for our cars. So...you can tell you Honda friends that you have VTEC.

boostedinaz

Also cool for about a week then the novelty wears off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Boost comes on faster & you make more power.

How would a dump pipe help spool? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Boost comes on faster & you make more power.

Won't help increase spool. Thats on the front side of the wastegate flapper. Helps eliminate boost creep and decreases turbulence on the backside of the haust housing while increasing volume moved out.

Also if you put a dump pipe on and you hear it anytime other that wot when the wastegate opens, then you have a problem. Your wastegate flapper door or housing has cracks.

Songsay

I have a divorced downpipe (screamer tube) on mine.
It does sound pretty insane.
I did back to back comparison with the stock o2 housing and the divorced,
my butt dyno couldnt tell a damn bit of difference.
In my opinion, a ported stock housing would be the best. But to each his own.

Boostdtalon

I have a divided O2 housing on my car and I will be gladly going to a ported O2 housing asap. It's great for larger turbos with external wastegates. Honestly I don't think it's needed on a stock turbo housing that's internally gated. I'm really beginning to hate it on my setup.

Songsay

Im with you on that one.
Unfortunately when I purchased my car it came with it set up with the divorced pipe.
I have a stock o2 pipe sittin in my garage, but the 3" downpipe was custom built to mate to the stainless divorced
pipe. So the gasket doesnt seal properly with the stock 2 1/2" o2 housing. aarrgghh.
So im just going to leave mine the way it is.

slugsgomoo

internally gated turbos like the evo3 start to crack the flapper open ~9psi so you'll hear the obnoxious dump all the freaking time.

External gates with a dump aren't as bad because it's only open once you hit your target boost pressure (say ~20+) and as a result are much less annoying (but still pretty annoying).

It's a good way to get a lot of negative police attention too

alansupra94

Is there any profound markings on the evo3 O2 housing? I am not sure if my car came with one....I know it came with a evo3 16G but not sure about the O2 housing. I can take pictures and host them up later today.

Quoting slugsgomoo:
internally gated turbos like the evo3 start to crack the flapper open ~9psi so you'll hear the obnoxious dump all the freaking time.

External gates with a dump aren't as bad because it's only open once you hit your target boost pressure (say ~20+) and as a result are much less annoying (but still pretty annoying).

It's a good way to get a lot of negative police attention too

2 things:

shimming the wastegate I never had my wastegate even crack open before max boost on a 16g at 22 psi.

Even with a stock exhaust you probaly shouldn't be boosting in front on the police anyway.

slugsgomoo

maybe it comes from driving a car with a lot less lag than factory, but I used to build 10-15psi going up hills at part throttle on the evo3, it would've been tremendously annoying.

I never shimmed my wastegate, because I simply didn't care (had an evo3 o2 housing and such anyway). I suppose you can work around it, but a factory MHI will start to open below 12psi and it's not that hard to make that little amount of boost even when you're just driving around and not really on it. It's not like your average 14b/16g is laggy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Terry Posten

Don't open the dump. That's ricer sh*t.

Take the stock 2G housing and port the hell out of it. Concentrate on the waste-gate side and how the gases re-join. If you can, get a down pipe that is at least 2.5" at the flange and goes to 3" really quickly.

Something like this. On my Evo III turbo, I saw full 22psi pressure at 3000rpm and it hit like a ton of bricks. It would pull super hard all the way to 6800. (Once over 6500, stock cams start to give up though)

Barnes

Terry, would you boost creep with that setup?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned