The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Synchromesh?

citymunky

I know this might be a really dumb question, but when you guys talk about GM Synchromesh. It this what you are talking about?

Pennzoil

GM actually has and sells their own synchromesh. I'll get the p/n here in a minute.

GM synchromesh, P/N 12345349, not 100% sure if its used for the same application as the pennzoil stuff though.

Terry Posten

Quoting citymunky:
I know this might be a really dumb question, but when you guys talk about GM Synchromesh. It this what you are talking about?

Pennzoil

That is what I used.

3rdstrikedsm

If your car makes any type of tq then syncro mesh is way thin so try mt90 redline or better yet oem evo mr 6 spd fluid which is by far the best balance.

citymunky

Quoting Whoodoo:
zomg vfaq

I read that before I posted this. Here is qoute from VFAQ " GM Synchromesh (not actually produced by General Motors)". Since it's not made by GM I was wondering if Pennzoil made it.

Quoting galant1517:
GM synchromesh, P/N 12345349, not 100% sure if its used for the same application as the pennzoil stuff though.

In the back of the bottom it says its formulated for MT's used by GM requiring GM P/N: 12345349 ans 12345577.
DSM TALK link

Quoting Terry Posten:
That is what I used.

I think I'm going to try it, how does it shift?

Quoting 3rdstrikedsm:
If your car makes any type of tq then syncro mesh is way thin so try mt90 redline or better yet oem evo mr 6 spd fluid which is by far the best balance

My car is just a daily driver to me. My number 1 pritory is how the car runs day to day.

Last edited:

3rdstrikedsm

Be aware that it will for sure wear out your trans faster as there is minimal protection for the gear sets however it will shift faster/smoother for a while any how.
Syncromesh is a trade off for better shifting at the expense of longevity.

citymunky

Well thats a trade off I don't want to take. Why does this car have to be so picky with tranny fuild.

3rdstrikedsm

Haha because it's a mitsu but just run to your dealer and get some evo mr 6 spd diaqueen and you will be set or streettuned motor sports carrys it as well and I believe they even have free shipping this week or something like that.

It comes in a 1 gallon jug btw.

Terry Posten

As I said before, that is what I used and now, with the new EVO III tranny, I ran the first 500 miles with it and then swapped to Diaqueen.

And I am running a stroker with a PTE6152R, (just click on the link in my sig)...

Dan D

People talk about syncromesh wearing parts faster which may be true but - Prior to my rebuild last year, I ran penzoil syncromesh for 85k miles (on a 192k total mile trans) and the thing still shifted as good as it did when I switched from gear oil years and years ago.

(be aware that I drive the car hard, but I don't launch, race, or otherwise try to kill my drivetrain so you mileage may vary)

Last edited:

89Mirageman

I have always used a 50/50 mix of the syncromesh and coastal 75 weight gear oil.

atc250r

Staff member
We used BG Synchroshift at the first Mitsu dealer I worked at and we had very good results. I would use it again in a heartbeat but its easier for me to go into AutoZone and pick up a bottle of the Penzoil Synchroshift so that's what I've been using.

John

donniekak

Anyone that rebuilds these transmissions can tell you it takes about 10 seconds to look at a bearing and know the owner used any of the "synchro" oils. If your transmission doesn't shift smooth, rebuild it. By using a band aid such as synchroshift, you are hiding the real problem, and causing more issuse down the road.

Synchros need friction to work, bearings and gear teeth need good lubrication. By using a synchro shift type oil, you are increasing the friction in the transmission. It can help a worn synchro work better, at the cost of possible catastrophic failure in the trans. A bearing that fails will ruin every gear in the trans, reducing your once grinding transmission to brick status.

slugsgomoo

If you make power I would recommend not running more than 3:1 gear oil to synchromesh.

It will do nothing more than accelerate whatever problem you have. Nothing like draining fluid with the viscosity of water full of sparkles.

Just say no

Dan D

Quote:
By using a band aid such as synchroshift, you are hiding the real problem, and causing more issuse down the road.

Quote:
I ran penzoil syncromesh for 85k miles (on a 192k total mile trans) and the thing still shifted as good as it did when I switched from gear oil years and years ago.

Not saying I disagree, but that's a pretty damn good bandaid in my opinion.

belize1334

Taken from Jack's website...

Quoting Jackstransmissions.com:

DO NOT use Synchromesh, BG Synchroshift I or II, or Royal Purple. These fluids will destroy synchros and gears and void your warranty!

Street Surgeon

Quoting Wizardawd:
Shep suggests the Penzoil.

Wiz

That's not what he recommended I put in his Stage 4 race trans!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts