The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just bought gvr4 PlEASE help not boosting and cant idle

yeti

Just bought the gvr4 for 1800 and on the way back it gets to full boostt really fast and doesent feel like its boosting at all ALSO once at full boost starts to cut out and conpletely stops boostibg and makes car stop idle anddie it won't go faster then 65 and once u start to put throttle down more than that it starts to cut out

Whoodoo

Ok, now that your post is in the newbie section (thanks mods), I'll tell you to do a compression test and boos leak test. The procedures for these can be found here.

broxma

Hello new guy. Welcome to the boards.

Let me congratulate you on your purchase of a car that is at least 18 years old. Chances are it is going to act a lot like a car that is 18 years old. It's going to have many problems you cannot immediately see. As much as we would like to help you, the best course of action is going to be to take little tips from people on the forum here, apply that knowledge, and mix all of that in with a thorough personal understanding of the vehicle you have just purchased. These cars are not overly complex but even after 15 years of working on them even us old timers miss a thing or two, so don't be discouraged.

There is in fact a Documents section on the forum here although I forgot the link. I would suggest popping the hood and beginning the lengthy process of getting acquainted with your old car. Bring some of the books with you. Figure out what has been done to the car. If you post any questions, describe them in full, complete sentences so that us old guys don't get aggravated. Get the shop manual. Keep it simple.

There is a reason many of us own this particular car. It's not the aerodynamics. It's not necessarily even the styling. It is because we know. We know it's a passion. Unfortunately, if the passion doesn't hit you, you may very well be left with a sub par vehicle which doesn't give back what you expect from it.

A tip of the hat to doing it for the passion...

P.S. - Do what he said. And check you don't have a massive intake/IC pipe leak. And check the wastegate is connected to a boost source.

/brox

yeti

I bought the car for 1800 I'm taking it to a my friends mechanic tomarrow to diagnose the problem it supposed tohave a faulty alternator but it has had power since I bought it and still has power

ALSO the steering wheel locks up when the car stalls

Car has a bad cv boot also is that safe to drive to the mechanic

Car has a 16g turbo a hks blow off valve and supposedly forged pistons and internals on the bottom end that's why the guy at the shop said it knocks cause it has forged internals.

AND the link for the boost leak is not letting me open it could u repost a link or check 2 see if that one works

broxma

The steering lock is probably just the difference between the feel with and without power steering. More importantly, why does it stall? Usually stalling is due to a lean condition which somewhat adds premise the idea you have a boost leak.

The CV boot will most likely be fine but I wouldn't run it too fast. You never know.

Forged internals often are louder at start up due to increased clearance to allow for expansion. This start up knock should go away as the car heats up and the piston-wall gap decreases. If it does not, either the knock is a different source or the piston-wall gap is too large allowing the pistons to slap.

The link is just www.vfaq.com. The VFAQ is the Visually Frequently Asked Questions and is basically DSM general information. Since the motor and drive train on the GVR4 and the 1G 6 bolt DSM is essentially the same, all the same procedures apply. There are many differences between the two cars however so you'll need to be somewhat intuitive in some cases.

/brox

yeti

i dont know why it stalls the idle is more of the reason im geussing when i first started it the idle was jumping from 1000 to 1500 really fast
it sounded like the computer was going crazy
sometimes it will idle by itself

and i was searching for a gvr4 before i found this one only other one i have EVER found was for 3500 with a blown turbo and needed a new tune
i hopped on the fact that i could get it for 1000 cheaper

yeti

whats worst case scenario do you think
what parts?
or is complete guessing game until you actually do a compression test or a boost leak test and actually get results?

yeti

also just looked in fuse box i am missing fuse 15a(ecs) (ecs)i dont know what this means
im my friends 98gsx the same spot says (awd) (awd)
is this the same for my 1991 gvr4?

yeti

theres a fuse on the box that says 15a (ecs)(ecs) and its not a fuse in the spot
i can take a picture if you would like

I know the ecs was some kind of active suspension control didnt come on the us galantvr4's galant Gs' and Gsr and maybe
some gsx came with not on the us bound galantvr4 again dont worry about it if you had ecs there would be a pod right about
where the number badge is located for your car the fuse boxes were similar but again you should not have a ecs fuse.

yeti

im having trouble understanding what you said.
do you mean there is a spot on the fuse-box that say 15a(ecs) but there is not a plug for the fuse
because i opened the box and look inside and there is no metal receptors for the fuse

yeti

thank you for confirming
will add more info about the "hopefully boost-leak"tommarow at the mechamic in about 12hours

yeti

car seems to put out a good amount of boost every now and then othertimes it will get the boost gauge full and start sputtering out ALSO why CANT i hear the turbo spooling up while i rev the engine any ideas>?

steve

If you're just free revving the motor, the turbo is not going to spool up (i.e. build positive manifold pressure). Also, if you've got a stock intake/exhaust the turbo is not very loud.

SouthCaliVR4

I'll try this again, Where do you live? You & your car are probably within forty miles of me & this would be a lot easier in person.

yeti

i live in San Diego right by the Qualcomm stadium where the chargers play 92120
and i have a 3inch exhaust, stock intake im pretty sure, and a front-mount inter-cooler, and a 16g turbo

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts