The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 want hold charge

yeti

cars been sitting for about 5 months owner said there was some backfiring
he aid he ws driving it and the battery wont hold a charge he said he thinks its the alternator
i was wondering how hard is it to change an alternator i figure the hardest part is the serpentine belt how do u put it on and take it off? along with the whole alternator
the car has act 2 clutch upgraded turbo to ?? and has rebuilt engine with 66,000 miles on it for
2,200 obo
is it a good deal and if so am i better off changing the alternator myself or having someone do it for me?

misfitsnemesis

big thing is if it just the alt you will be able to start the car and hear run. Cause they are normally hidden problem owner not telling you. But i have bought a 1Ga car that was messed up for parts and all it needed was new plugs and wires and it fired right up with np drove it for a good while then sold it and made money on it. But i would start it with a good battery if ran good and moved would be something to look at.

shredder2010

I just had my alt. go bad yesterday changed it out in about 2 maybe a bit less not a hard job if you have some mechanical skills. If not pull out the chilton manual and read. Its not to bad im sure you could do it

rgeier11

Quoting misfitsnemesis:
big thing is if it just the alt you will be able to start the car and hear run. Cause they are normally hidden problem owner not telling you. But i have bought a 1Ga car that was messed up for parts and all it needed was new plugs and wires and it fired right up with np drove it for a good while then sold it and made money on it. But i would start it with a good battery if ran good and moved would be something to look at.

Allow me to translate.

Here's the deal fellow Galant owner, if it is solely the alternator that is your vehicle's issue, you will be able to start your car no problem. I have a hunch that there is a hidden problem that the previous owner neglected to inform you of. Many moons ago, I purchased a first generation DSM (with popup headlights for those interested) that I was going to use as a parts donor to another project I had. It turns out, the previous owner was an idiot and all the vehicle needed was new plugs and wires. I drove the car around and had a lot of memories. I then sold it for a profit on my investment. Enough about me already, I would start with a new battery if your car already runs well once running. If the car can drive around on it's own, it is definitely worth the $2,200.

Last edited:

yeti

i have the car in my driveway now and the car would not go faster than 65mph and when you increase the throttle more than that the boost gauge shot up to full but you don't get any pull it actually starts sputtering and cutting out

ALSO the car dies on it own most of the time it cant idle sometimes it will idle fine and then once you touch the gas it will go up in the rpm and then die on the way back down instead of stopping at 1000rpm's or so

i can hear waste-gate and blow off valve but they sound really faint i CANT hear the turbo spooling up though

yeti

sorry for re-posting over and over

but also the car has a front mount inter-cooler a 16g turbo and a 3inch exhaust
and the injectors are blue if it means anything

yeti

also just looked in fuse box i am missing fuse 15a(ecs) (ecs)i dont know what this means
im my friends 98gsx the same spot says (awd) (awd)
is this the same for my 1991 gvr4?

mitsuturbo

PULL THE ECU and check it out. Replace it with a known good one from a DSM or other GVR4 if you can, at least for testing purposes.
The not going over 65, sputtering and not making power, and boost gauge rising are things i have seen many cars with bad ECUs do.

Last edited:

496of2000

1.Check the IC pipe hose clamps. Make sure they are tight.
2. Charge up the battery, to full. Then check to see if its charging.

yeti

i removed battery and got a full charge picked it up the car drove fine for 40 miles and still has power to start on the first try
the guy at kragen said the alternator is dead
and how much does a ecu cost cause i think i might be something like that
because
the car wont idle correctly jumps up and down really fast and sounds like the ecu is going crazy and other times the boost kicks in for a second and you fly then it cuts out cause it gets to full boost so fast
and the car cant idle in between shifts it try's to stall
i have messed with the idle and that fixes it until you drive

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned