The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

need help on installing 4 bolts, SOLVED

stealthtt24

So I'm having problems putting the 4 bolt rear end in. Well the one problem is that the side part of the rear end keeps hitting the subframe. I took a pic and u can see what I mean. My roommate has been helping me but to no avail. Any tips?

IMAG0229.jpg

Last edited:

Whoodoo

That is probably the crappiest pic of all time, and it isn't doing you any good. Are you swapping the internals or the whole rear end? You don't have to swap the whole pumpkin. You can crack the pumpkin, put the lsd onto the stock ring gear and keep the 4ws all without much ado.

stealthtt24

I know the pic sucks, ill get a better one tomorrow. I'm swapping in the whole rear end. Getting the old one out sucked but nothing compared to this.

broxma

I cannot tell what is hitting where in that picture. Looks like a scanned Polaroid from 1978. Circle something so we can see it better.

Dimension and bolt pattern wise, they should be almost if not totally identical, save for the pump section.

/brox

toybreaker

iconoclast

Is the pumpkin is hanging up at the arrow?

You can't just go straight up, it's got to come from the back (iirc)

Each subframe is a little different dimensionally, and if the bent over lip is prominent on your subframe, it may take angling/tipping the the unit up or down to get it past the lip.

Better pics would help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

Yeah, Toybreaker nails another one.

They wont just fall out and go straight back up. Remove the moustache bar, drop the bottom mounts of the rear struts and lower the sub-frame as low as it will fall (of course, support the car very well with stands on the frame rails).

Once you have it low, slide the pumpkin into the frame and it will rest on those side mounts.

Once lined up and you have room to work, it is a simple job.

IIRC, I did it myself in my car in about 2 hours (I love air tools).

Terry Posten

Look at the two red circles, they show that the frame mounts curl under to block the diff from falling out. Slide it in.

bazeng

That boss needs to slide in from the back. You cannot go directly up. You will notice a little lip on the sub frame. As above, remove the moustache brace and enter from the rear... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stealthtt24

Ok so thanks guys for the tip, moving the moustache brace worked great! Now I have another problem.

Installed the passenger axle no problem, but the driver side won't go in any farther and it can't clear the thing it mounts to. Any help?

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

Romanova

You have to compress the little rings on the end of the axle. Give it a few light taps with a deadblow hammer. Also, the left axle is longer than the right one... didn't get them mixed up did you?

bazeng

Being a viscous, you'll have one shaft (spline) longer than the other.

As mentioned above, you didn't mix it up did you?

Sometimes they just need a bit of force to get them in also. I usually straighten up the bearings / shaft and tap it in with a hammer.

Getting there!!! Painful I know! I was doing that a few weeks ago!

The killer is undoing the 2 top bolts on the subframe to the diff with all the 4ws lines etc.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Romanova:
You have to compress the little rings on the end of the axle. Give it a few light taps with a deadblow hammer. Also, the left axle is longer than the right one... didn't get them mixed up did you?

I thought the long axle was on the right side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

stealthtt24

I greased up the shafts, and right now the short axle is on the passenger side, long axle on the driver side. Is that correct?

I saw that ring, and it was sticking up a bit, but it would not compress!

toybreaker

iconoclast
Mark,

As per my factory service manual, the axle that has two sets of splines on the inner c.v. belongs on the right side (passenger side).

On many of the dsm vehicles, the axles were color coded, and the boot clamps tell the tale.

yellow boot clamps = left axle

blue boot clamps = right axle

There may be some other issue that may need to be investigated if it's fighting you that hard.

I have generally found the best technique for dealing with those silly clips is to slide the axle in as far as it goes, and then while holding the axle as level as possible, and then give it an authoratative smack with a dead blow/plastic mallet. Don't pound on the flange with a metal hammer, it'll raise burrs that may prevent the axle from seating well against the companion flange.

As was mentioned in a previous post, a little lubrication will go a long way. I like to use the system fluid whenever posssible, so just dribble a little gear oil on the splines and wipe some on the sealing surface and that may help things go together easier.

It's o.k. to say a bad word, just put a quarter in the swear jar.

It's jobs like this that fund turbo upgrades. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stealthtt24

Thanks as usual toybreaker, but they are not color coded that I can see and I'm not sure what u mean about the splines. So... lol

toybreaker

iconoclast
Mark,

You sure these axles aren't off a fiat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you can, remove the axles, and post a picture of what you have, with the axles laying side by side and we'll go from there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I remember the passenger rear (right side) axle had two sets of splines on the inner c.v., (to engage the viscous coupler) and that's what the factory service manual tells me as well.

Two sets of splines on the right inner c.v.

It's been quite a few beers since I last did this job, and since I don't want to give you bunk advice, I think it's time for some pics.

edit try an get a pic of the area the axle slides into on both sides of the pumpkin. You should be able to see two sets of splines on the one side of the diff.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Sorry for the delay, here's the driver side axle pic. And thats grease on the splines just fyi.

IMAG0246.jpg

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
That appears to be the left (drivers side) inner c.v. joint.

Got any pics of the other axle's inner c.v. joint?

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Not available, I can get some tomorrow since I have to remove the axle as its bolted in. So if that's the driver side I just got to muscle it in there?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts