The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

damn safc2 in my galant causing spark knocking ?

The car is stock and I bought it with this damn safc2. Reset with only set to 4 cyl and kardon that's it ....timing belt on correct and. Timing not advanced and its still causing spark knock almost all the time car running like sh*t at 8psi. I need help

rgeier11

If the car is all stock, remove the SAFC.

Use a proper datalogger to log knock.

Last edited:

Nartanian

Well a bone stock vr4 with a 16g will use up more fuel than a 14b. Are you running boost of the wastegate or you have a manual boost controller?

steve

^ Sure, but the sensors should all still be able to measure things properly, and with stock injectors, etc, the ECU is able to accurately supply fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ok removed the safc back to stock now and yes using an hbc manual controller. And still spark knocks. Under any boost so now at a loss new wires and plugs running 91 gas.

ktmrider

Sorry man but you will get waaay more help once you:

1. Introduce yourself
2. Background/history of the car ( everything you know )
3. Use terms that make sense ( Spark Knock?!? )
4. Quit posting with your phone, use a computer
5. Sentence structure that us old farts are/were forced to use back in the day. And don't give the standard GenX ADD/ADHD bullcrap excuse either. You don't have time to write a decent sentence, I don't have time to try and help.

Removed the SAFC, did you just unplug it or did you actually remove the harness? The MAF wiring requires splicing, did you tie the wires back together?!?

I fould only 2 wires needed to be put back together then I. Could just unplug the. Safc car runs the same with or without it hooked up and I did try the 2 cyl and it was worse. Sory will try to use my laptop thanks.

Hello. I'm isaac I bought this car here in arizona maricopa. I bought the car last Monday asuming after the test drive. And checking the a/c I bought it. Then after I was driving it home with the windows down I could hear detenation when boosting. Or. Running too lean under boost .... dry spark. Spark. Ping. Can't say it any other way ... it also is dumping fuel at idle I can smell it . The car to my knoledge is stock. Accept for 16g turbo ...cyl pressure shows 130 on all cylendars checked timing and timing belt all correct ... so I'm at a loss. 91 galant vr4. 174k on the clock thank you

boostedinaz

When I had the car it was bone stock. I put the 16G on as the stock 14B was cracked like crazy. I know when Nick had it he ended up putting a fuel pump in it but I don't know what kind.

The compression at 130 is pretty low and close to service limits.

Last edited:

Compression test was only 3 cranks and closer to 135psi. And the afc2 was wired in 6 wires pluss the 2 ground wires. I unhooked the 2 wires per the wire diagram for maf to be hooked back up to the ecu unless I'm looking at the wrong wire ...I just want this to run stock everything without spark knock ... do you know if the motor was ever rebuilt?

boostedinaz

When I had it the motor ran like a freaking champ and had great compression and never leaked a drop. It was all original when I had it as well. The guy I bought it from (also on this board and local) had a TON of maintenance done at the dealer to fix a bunch of leaks. From the point on it never leaked a drop.

In fact I really regret selling it since it was super clean and dead nuts reliable.

Here it is when my wife and I went to MOD in California. That year Motor Trend had a small little blurb about MOD and the picture with my plate was shown.

Last edited:

Well nick has the orig. Hood and I'm going to get it. From him and the oil return line is leaking oil so just another thing for me to put right I only have 1 dsm person to help with troubleshooting. Plus I dumped a lot of money into it already but I want to make it right oh and someone put a urathan motor mount in the back of the motor so it vibrates. Like hell and also has a ski rack on top now and has an h.I.d kit for the lights

boostedinaz

The HIDs I put in but the other stuff I didn't do. I wouldn't mind helping you out and would love to see the car again but it might be a drive for you as I live in Mesa. Sounds like it was beat hard and put away wet, but I commend you on wating to make it better and doing it the right way.

I will give you the saf I don't want or need it for trade with some help finding the issue with gas I really don't want to drive it till I get it right ... plus its terrable on gas ... like 7 mpg. Terrable .. my dsm friend lives in mesa as do my parents. And. I work in chandler. Let me know

boostedinaz

^^^^

I like that deal a lot. I'll PM you my number and we'll see what we can figure out.

Diego

Quoting cherrod8:
So like can someone consolidate all his threads into one.

+2...... this is number 3? For the same problem.... can't you keep the First one updated? No need to clogg up space with a SAFC2 post... hell rip It out, ill buy your "problem"

Tre3zy

that could be.... are you knocking up top or right when your get onto boost?

Car seems fine only when I hit boost does it spark knock .... and the 16g should just hit you but know it is like a dog just. Spools up to 10psi and the car just seems to sit there and ok I will try to see about a data logger can I do it on a windows laptop?

boostedinaz

There are loggers that work with laptops or with palms. I have the programs for both and have a palm that I used in that car, but my laptop recently took a crap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts