The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Windshield fogging WTF

dsmless

My inside windshield keeps fogging up, its like a oily fogging, no i dont have the defrost on the fans not on and the windows down or up it will still fog up, j have tryed windex, regular mild soap water, alchohl and alot of diffrent glass wipes, but the oily fog still comes back,???? I was talking with a buddy thats also on this board and he has the same problem, so anyone have any luck with this, well thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Try vinegar, and check for a heater core leak. Coolant mist in the passenger compartment will do that.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Is the carpet wet? Oh, also, make sure you do not have it in recirc position (I realize you mentioned fans not on).

SouthCaliVR4

I'm with check the heater core even a pinhole leak will put a greasy fog on the windshield. I do remember living Az & having the windshield sealant melting down the glass as well but it was in streaks not even across the glass.

Last edited:

turbowop

503 does the same thing. 1051 doesn't. It's weird. If I leave the car out in the sun it's even worse, so I think it has something to do with the dash. Also, if I put one of those reflective shades in the windshield, it keeps it from happening. I just cleaned the inside of my windshield again last night because of this. It's like a film, not windows being fogged up like steam during the winter. Annoying.

mitsu90

I have the same problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

dsmless

Will try the vinegar approch, and hell since theres really no need for the heater will loop the heater lines its worth a try

turbowop

If it's anything like mine, it isn't the heater core. If I leave my car out in the driveway in the sun with the windows rolled up, the windshield will get filmier every consecutive day. I think the dash is outgassing some chemical that ends up on the inside of the windshield.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
New instrument panels do outgas, but after 19+ years, it would not be doing that anymore. Could be cleaning affects or maybe even just moisture.

turbowop

That's what I thought as well. Maybe it's something that Teeter or Erik used to clean the dash when they owned the car. Or maybe it's because in Portland, it never finished outgassing due to the mild climate and now that it's in hot desert Yakima, it's doing its thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Maybe it's resin? You should quit smogging out your G-ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

dsmless

Well cleaned the inside windscrean with vinegar and looped the heater lines, i still have the haze, another wtf moment, its weird that only the driver side were you look is were it hazes so any more trixs

turbowop

I knew it wasn't the heater core. Mine does it the worst on the driver's side as well. Right above the gauge cluster bulge. I think it's probably some dash dressing or cleaner that was used at some point during the car's life.

dsmless

Thats what i think i used amonia as last resort and it has not hazed as of 4 hrs yes it stinks but hey hopefully thAt works

DR1665

Add me to the list of people dealing with this annoying issue. All the windows, all the time. HATE HATE HATE.

At first, I thought it might be Armor All used on the dash vaporizing in the 150*+ interior temps the car sees in Phoenix. I haven't wiped the dash with anything other than water in something like three months. Still shows up daily. I've also wondered if it was the dash materials breaking down. The glue holding things together breaks down, so perhaps there's a side effect to that?

I used a Lexol brand leather cleaner/conditioner that left the seats very tacky and didn't want to buff off easily. I guess I could pull the seats, clean the windows, and let it sit in the sun for a weekend to see if the conditions improve, but I dunno. A lot of work for such a stretch of a hypothesis. Even so, there are "essential oils" in leather conditioners, right?

It *could* be heater core leak. I'll have to poke around and see if there's any leakage inside the car. Despite replacing radiator/cap/tstat/waterpump/hoses under the hood, I still seem to be losing coolant over about a 2-3 week time frame. I see some mention here of looping out the heater core, but there would still be residue in the core and/or carpet/foam after-the-fact, right? Oh yeah, and I could have sworn I smelled coolant the other night leaving boostedinaz's place in the rain.

Whatever is causing this, I hate it.

dsmless

Dude get a air blower and blow the rest of the heater core residuial coolant out, my window hasnt fogged up so far so the ammonia thing is working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsmer06

A past owner was probably a smoker, it happens to my parents cars all the time.

An easy way to see if it's the heater core is to lick the windshield.

DR1665

Quoting Hertz:
DR1665: Quit smoking. That makes it worse.

I did... in April.

The odd thing about the smoking idea, though. The entire time I owned my 97 Talon - 1996-2008, 210,000+ miles - I smoked. Never had this issue.
My wife's Isuzu Amigo - owned since new in 1998, 160,000 miles - she's smoked. Never had, still doesn't have, this issue.

Go figure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts