The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

breaks not working.... probably something dumb that i missed.

Woosky117

so here is my problem. the brakes aren't working. i have to pump the brake pedal a bunch before i get and braking power. my ebrake is working fine. its the hydraulic fluid part of the brakes that is not working like it should.

i just replaced all of the brake lines, flex and (small) hard lines. and i have new drum brakes in the back.
I'm sure it has something to do with the new lines i put in.

I'm sure its just something i missed, but since this is my first time doing the brake lines, i don't know what it is.

please help guys.
i need these brakes functioning tomorrow.

thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

broxma

Did you at any time remove the booster vacuum line? Maybe put the line on backwards so the check valves is the wrong direction?

/brox

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Did you bleed them?

^^^ What he said.

Quote:
i have new drum breaks in the back

Is this on a fwd galant?

Did you adjust the brake shoes up after you were done assembling everything?

Last edited:

Woosky117

i didnt bleed them, and now im assuming thats my problem.
after thinking about it a bunch, i figured it was because there was still air in the tubes, but i didnt know what to really do about it, or how to do it.

yes its a fwd. the shoes are adjusted, and i did not remove the vacuum.

now heres a real noob question, but how do i bleed the break lines? (all of them)

SouthCaliVR4

first fill the master with dot 3 or 4 brake fluid from a sealed container, leave the cap off for the moment, one at a time starting at the pass rear open the bleeder valve. let it run out on it's own for a while then close & move to drivers front, repeat, move to drivers rear, repeat, pass ft repeat. keep an eye on fluid level in the reservoir, do not let it go empty!!! If you do you'll have to start over. once you stop seeing air bubbles come out will dictate when to move to the next wheel.

Then repeat the whole process using the two man method, have a bud pump the pedal till pressure is felt then hold pressure while you open the bleeder, when the pedal has dropped as far as it's going to close the bleeder & repeat till no air comes out with the fluid.

If you need more info on this most basic of procedures please google "bleeding brakes" you must do it in the above described pattern to keep the valve centered or you will trap air in the system.

Woosky117

thank you!
you guys are awesome!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fuel

how is it that you keep mis-spelling brakes as 'breaks' yet you spelt 'ebrake' perfectly fine? Surely you figured brake in ebrake and brakes of the car are the same thing?

cspetros

^^How about contributing something useful to the thread. You evidently understood the meaning, regardless of spelling. It seems like people are just hunting for stuff to go off about sometimes. Just saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

+1 on the bleeding Daniel. Anytime the lines are exposed to air, it will be necessary. You've made a lot of progress on this car since you first started! It's definitely paying off now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Woosky117

lol, yeah sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain.

thanks for the support chris. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

and it most definitely is paying off.
the car is now running!
timing is perfect, and purring beautifully.
sway bar link comes in tomorrow, then its off to be inspected on thursday morning!

I think he is contributing something useful to the thread, teaching the man the difference between brakes and breaks. Remember proper grammar and spelling is an integral part of this forum its one of the things that makes us different from other sites. It gives me a headache sometimes reading posts with basic spelling errors, misuse of words or complete ignorance of some words. I don't think he was trying to insult your friend but if he teaches him something then I say its fine. Just remember I before E except after C brakes vs breaks and my favorite there vs their vs they"re lol. None of us are perfect but come on, these are basic words that even my 8 year old knows the difference, just saying.

grammar Quoting Castro's:
^^How about contributing something useful to the thread. You evidently understood the meaning, regardless of spelling. It seems like people are just hunting for stuff to go off about sometimes. Just saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

+1 on the bleeding Daniel. Anytime the lines are exposed to air, it will be necessary. You've made a lot of progress on this car since you first started! It's definitely paying off now. :Hugh:

steve

I agree the post was not insulting. We don't like to see members go off on Newbies in the Newbies section, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of gentle guidance. We just don't want to see anybody brake down and cry.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Woosky117

lol, its alright. my gf corrects me on my english all the time. shes an english major.
consider also it was kinda late at night, so certain things just dont click when your brain wants to shut down.

then again, you guys write color instead of colour. lol, ah the differences of the us and canada. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that was a random thought, lol

but yeah, thanks for the correction. (altho i do kinda feel it could have been done a little nicer, but its all good. no hard feelings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

p.s. i will be bleeding out the breaks today, and installing the swaybar link when it comes in today.
so excited to get this thing back on the road soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

SouthCaliVR4

"Just remember I before E except after C" This rule is bull, explain "Their", I don't see a C in that word yet it's spelled right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
According to Brian Regan: I before E except after C, or when sounding like "ay" as in neighbor and weigh, and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll still be wrong no matter what you say!

Actually exceptions are: Neither leisure foreigner seized their weird heights.

Quoting SteveGLS;

We just don't want to see anybody brake down.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Quoting Woosky117;

p.s. i will be bleeding out the breaks today,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Not again!

Last edited by a moderator:

fuel

Quoting steveGLS:
I agree the post was not insulting. We don't like to see members go off on Newbies in the Newbies section, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of gentle guidance. We just don't want to see anybody brake down and cry.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I see what you did there :p

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned