The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I have a free 65A Alternator...should I bother to use it?

I tried to get a 90A alternator from an ebay seller who advertised it as such. I ended up getting a 65A alternator instead. I complained about it to the seller and he refunded my fees including shipping and told me to keep the alternator.

If it was you, would you give it a shot? I am thinking about it since lower amperage alternators are supposed to put less drag on the motor (maybe a minute horsepower increase). I was also thinking that it might weigh slightly less due to having less windings.

My biggest worry is whether or not it would be able to supply enough current to the fuel pump under high boost.

My fuel pump is rewired and I plan on running 21 psi on my Walbro 190 lph.

I don't have fog lamps anymore so that is a plus. I have a simple aftermarket radio and a few aftermarket gauges that light up. I must admit that I do love to use the A/C on the highway though.

Would you take a chance? I think I might, but wanted to hear what you thought. Things are tight right now for me and lots of folks and I don't mind the free gift! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

I run a 75amp on 1051 without issue. Supplies enough power to my HP255 at 30psi. It's not ideal, but you'll probably be fine.

Run it, the worst that will happen is that you'll wear it out faster because it will be operating closer to maximum output more often.

SmoothCustomer

I used to run a 75A as well no problem. 65 would be fine unless you are rolling the windows down/leaving the lights on a lot.

turbowop

I would have put a 90amp in my car, but at the time, Bosch only made reman'd 90's which carry only a 2yr warranty. The 75amp versions are "new" and carry a lifetime warranty. I had a 90amp Bosch in the car before it failed and I replaced it with the 75amp Bosch. I've noticed no difference at all. And my car still has AC, PS, stereo, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned