The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help with my 197/1000

Taking the cylinder head off the car we noticed that the balanced shaft belt wasnt there.......the shaft spinning freely....and the car was runnin fine, just decided to do a head gasket and basically maintenance.....should i put the belt back in the car or just leave the way it was????

You should put the belt back on it if it still spins freely. It keeps the motor from vibrating at high rpm. Or you can always take the time to eliminate the balance shaft so you don't have to worry about it ever again.

Ive never heard exactly why, but ive heard that you should not leave the shafts in there with no belt on them. I would either do a BS delete or get a belt.

turbowop

Is the rear shaft still there or removed? If it's removed, then leave the belt off. If it's there, you should either do the removal or reinstall a belt on the front shaft.

For what it's worth, the rear shaft on both my cars is removed and the stubby put in place. Both cars also still have the front shaft installed, sans belt. Been fine for thousands of miles and many years.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned