The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why do people get rid of 4 wheel steering?

I still have the four wheel steering my my galant and I was wondering why people get rid of it? It is pretty weird at times but i think it is another thing that sets the Galant apart from other cars.

Terry Posten

50% of the time it is because they start leaking and it is too much $$$$ to repair.
45% of the time is because the 3 bolt axles are to weak and we get tired of breaking them in half.
5% of time is a combination of the two above and it is too much $$$ and time to swap out 4 bolt internals into a 3 bolt housing.

belize1334

I got rid of it because I'm interested in extreme handling and the on/off switch was a big upset in the corners. Others do it because the system may develop a leak and it's just simpler to have it gone. It also requires a special rear anti-roll bar which limits aftermarket options. If you don't take corners fast and the system is in good condition then you may as well keep it since it improves stability at freeway speeds.

Awesome! thanks guys! i think i'll keep it..... until it gives me problems at least!

DR1665

60% of the time, 4WS works every time.

Pentti Airikkala ran - and won - with the 4WS installed. It might be a bit disconcerting when it engages midway through a sweeping curve, but it's super nice on dirt roads above 60mph. I mean, super nice. Does make it a bit difficult to rotate the car at higher speeds, though. Come into something like a 3 or 4 a bit hot and you really have to flick it to get the back end to break loose above 40mph.

Not that I have a bunch of experience doing that, though.

Has anyone ever swapped the lines to the rear rack to that it works backwards? It might be neat (in a terrifying, scary-ass way) to swap the phase 180* out. Might make getting sideways a piece of cake.

Terry Posten

Would also make for a fun ride for those 80 mph quick lane change maneuvers.

Yikes!

RedTwo

Quoting DR1665:
60% of the time, 4WS works every time.

Yeah, there's a tight corner up in the hills that has claimed many cars which were travelling too fast. I like to think 4WS was the reason I did a 180* and survived (missed the guard rail AND the traffic in the oncoming lane!) rather than a 90* and KA-BANG!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts