The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Am I at TDC? Pics!

stealthtt24

I've never set it before, so im just checking... little confusing with the cam gears.... Im replacing my VSS seals and wanna get started. And yes that is the highest the pen goes.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

Also, if I remove all the cam caps will the cam just pop out or do I need to take off the cam gear?

fuel

Yep you look to be at TDC. You have to remove the cam gears in order to replace the cams.

Yes, it looks like you are at TDC. Both alignment dowels on the cam gears(second pic) are straight up. And since you have to remove the timing belt to remove the cams, you can comfirm the crank timing mark under the timing cover before you remove the belt. You do no have to remove the cam gears to take the cams out. They will come out together.

stealthtt24

I have new cams that need to go in, so I guess I should just remove the cam gears. I put the plastic piece between the cam gears to hold them in place along with zip tying the belt to the cam gears. Should I now loosen the 17mm cam gear bolts? I'm trying to thread the cam tensioner tool to slip the timing belt off, but for whatever reason it isn't wanting to thread in?

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting galant1517:
Yes, it looks like you are at TDC. Both alignment dowels on the cam gears(second pic) are straight up. And since you have to remove the timing belt to remove the cams, you can comfirm the crank timing mark under the timing cover before you remove the belt. You do no have to remove the cam gears to take the cams out. They will come out together.

Sorry I understood that he was wanting to remove the cams as it is setup now with the timing belt all timed up etc.

I didn't realize you were changing cams, your post only mentioned valve stem seals.

fuel

Quoting stealthtt24:
I have new cams that need to go in, so I guess I should just remove the cam gears. I put the plastic piece between the cam gears to hold them in place. Should I now loosen the 17mm cam gear bolts? Im trying to thread the cam tensioner tool to slip the timing belt off, but for whatever reason it isnt wanting to thread in?

Huh? You need to lock the auto-tensioner first by putting a 'pin' through both the housing and the rod, then undo the tensioner bearing to slacken off the cambelt, and that should be enough to be able to remove the cambelt, but if not you can remove the auto tensioner altogether and that will give the tensioner arm more room to swing back.

stealthtt24

Quoting galant1517:
I didn't realize you were changing cams, your post only mentioned valve stem seals.

Yeah I realized that now would be a smart idea to install my cams. I was going to take off the exhaust cam first, swap out vss, then install the exhaust cam, and just switch out the intake after.

stealthtt24

Quoting fuel:
Quoting stealthtt24:
I have new cams that need to go in, so I guess I should just remove the cam gears. I put the plastic piece between the cam gears to hold them in place. Should I now loosen the 17mm cam gear bolts? Im trying to thread the cam tensioner tool to slip the timing belt off, but for whatever reason it isnt wanting to thread in?

Huh? You need to lock the auto-tensioner first by putting a 'pin' through both the housing and the rod, then undo the tensioner bearing to slacken off the cambelt, and that should be enough to be able to remove the cambelt, but if not you can remove the auto tensioner altogether and that will give the tensioner arm more room to swing back.

I have the rod in this tool, and was under the impression that you thread that in and that helps me slide the timing belt off.

fig05.gif

I'd pull the timing cover. It is so easy to do with the motor out, you can completely remove the belt, and atleast you can be 100% sure you time it correctly when you are done

stealthtt24

Whats the advantage to removing the whole belt as opposed to just slipping it off the cam gears?

Peace of mind that the belt gets re installed correctly. Proper alignment on the pulleys, proper tension, you can just be sure something stupid doesn't kill your investment. Plus IMO its way easier to time these engines by first placing the belt on the cam gears, then idler pulley, the oil pump drive, then crank, and tensioner pulley last.

stealthtt24

OK, so Ill take the whole thing off, but once I take the belt off do I then take off the cam gears, swap the cams, bolt the gears back on and install the belt?

And use blue (med) loc tite on all bolts going back in the sprockets and pullies.

stealthtt24

sorry for the newb questions this is my first timing belt removal. so i should just remove the timing belt so when working on the motor it doesn't skip timing ?

stealthtt24

K got the lower timing cover off now just gotta figure out how to get this damn belt off!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned