The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vibrating

tintoy

I've change my timing belt and used a brand new belt (old stock), all timing marks are in the correct place. every time I rev it @ 5k rpm the engine vibrates. does the vibration is cause by the old stock timing belt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barnes

Your rear balance shaft is probably not in phase. You can have the rear balance shaft 180 degrees off while the timing mark still lines up.

OR

Your belt is not tight enough. Sounds like you need to get back in there either way and double check everything. Normally when someone does not have their rear balance shaft in phase, they get vibration much earlier. Other instance of vibration, heard more than felt, was when my buddy's timing belt was not tight enough.

tintoy

does it also cause hard starting? when I start the engine the rpm wont raise, when I hit the accelerator the engine chocks then it rev's up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Barnes

If the only thing you did was to change your timing belt and this happen, you did your timing belt job incorrectly.

alansupra94

Did you remove the balance shaft belt? I would recommend removing one time while you are down there.

Barnes

Hold up. Unless he removes the rear balance shaft, he CANNOT remove the balance shaft belt.

However it is worth asking if you replaced that belt? Is it still there?

alansupra94

I guess I should have specified doing the complete balance shaft removal properly.

91vr4394

my front balance shaft locked up..i removed the belt and did not do the balance shaft eliminator..i havent had a problem yet..now i am going to do it..just havent had the time

cspetros

^^You must have experienced wickedly bad vibrations due to the lack of the front shaft and the rear shaft still operating... There's no way around it.

tintoy

would it work if i just remove the small belt and not do the whole balance shaft removal? would it hurt my engine for just removing the small belt?

Barnes

Quoting tintoy:
would it work if i just remove the small belt and not do the whole balance shaft removal? would it hurt my engine for just removing the small belt?

Do not do this. Either remove the rear balance shaft and the front belt, or leave the front belt in. Do not remove the small belt driving the front balance shaft without removing the rear balance shaft. I don't care if someone else "hasn't had a problem", don't do it.

Barnes

Potentially, but I don't really know for sure. Keep driving and let us know how it turns out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tintoy

i guess the 1 reason that i have to eliminate the shaft is the every time i replace my timing belt the small belt is broken or to lessen stress to the engine? or it keeps on breaking cause is not properly install? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barnes

If the small belt is breaking, something is wrong. It should last atleast 50,000 miles without a problem. In addition to buying a new small belt, you need to buy a new pulley to replace the one the small belt goes over.

This all assumes you do not have the time or money to do a proper balance shaft elimination.

91vr4394

A friend of mine that use to be a mechanic at SBR told me it is fine..He has his talon like that and it's been like that for 3years now..He also said he does it to all his cars unless he has the motor out..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned