The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What would cause this to ecu

OMFGeofffff

Should I be worried if I replace the ecu that it's gonna happen right away?

belize1334

Someone will likely correct me but I believe those are the ISC drivers. A faulty ISC will fry them and it'll do it again to the next one. Replace the ISC motor (or block it off) before you replace the ECU.

OMFGeofffff

Also can I use a 1g ecu? I think I noticed that the cases are slightly different? Can I just switch it between cases or is that a big no-no?

Terry Posten

Yes, ISC shorted out causing a blown driver.

Yes, 1G ECUs are the same but have a different eprom chip, but it will run as long as it is for a 5speed. Auto ECUs are programmed for smaller injectors.

If you get a 1G ECU and want to be completely correct, Send the blown ECU and the new 1G ECU to me and I will recap, clean, and socket the new ECU and then pull the chip out of the GVR4 unit and slide it into the new socketed 1G.

And then if you ever want to do a Keydiver chip or DSM Link, your all set.

Terry Posten

BTW - Sometimes a blown ECU can be fixed. If I can repair it, it would cost you $20 for labor/cleaning and $5 each for drivers. PM me if you want more info.

OMFGeofffff

What would cause it to short out? I bought the isc a few months ago from autozone with warranty(maybe not the best idea?)

Terry Posten

1 of the 4 coils inside an ISC shorts out or a shorted wire from ECU to ISC.

OMFGeofffff

Ok. PM sent and I'll check out the isc and wiring.

holeshotmoe

The chip might have already been cooked by your old ISC. The new ISC is probably fine. I replaced mine and then found the smoked driver later when I was checking the caps for leaks. There's a simple procedure to check it ISC CHECK

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Will I be ok throwing in a 1g non-eprom ecu while the original is getting repaired?

Terry Posten

Yes, as long as the ISC checks out OK. If it is from an Automatic car, just drive it easy, the injectors will be mapped for 390 injectors instead of 450s.

Wizardawd

No need to drive it easy...the AT ECU actually adds a touch too much fuel. But, it actually works out fairly close as the 1g AT 390cc were run at like 43psi and the 450cc 1g MT were at 32psi.

Wiz

OMFGeofffff

Threw in the 1g ecu. Doesn't start. The fuel pump won't kick on until after I get done cranking the engine. No matter how long I crank. My old ecu works but obviously the idle is eff'd.

ktmrider

Quote:
Why won't the 1g ecu work?

click - Maybe from a 90 and/or needs the wire swap as per link

stevep

There is no difference on a 90 ECU that would cause issue with activating the fuel pump. It's likely the other ECU is also damaged.

I just noticed that both ISC drivers are blown on the original. IC105 went big time but IC107 is also blown.

Last edited:

OMFGeofffff

Yea I gotta figure out what I want to do. Get my original sent off and wait it out. Or just buy a known working ecu and get it socketed/chipped. Sending mine will probably be cheaper eh?

Terry Posten

A spare is not a bad idea if this is a DD.

OMFGeofffff

I just bought an auto eprom ecu. Terry can I send my ecu's to you to switch out my old chip into the automatic? The auto is already socketed but my original isn't. If anyone knows who else can do this for let me know. Terry I'm sending you a PM too if you don't look at this.

Terry Posten

I can swap things around for you.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts