The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#671 sounds like a wrx :( what are the symptoms of bad rings?

so i thought i blew my turbo, wasnt the case, could it be my piston rings? it kinda sounds like a wrx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif smoke does come out but not all the time.

GVR4_1057

Mine did that and it was the ECU.

DR1665

Mine did that and it was catastrophic headgasket failure.

WRX sound == dead cylinder. You remove your plug wires recently? Make sure your plugs/wires/coil/transistor-doo-dad are sorted.

broxma

The early days of dropping a 6 bolt in a 2G were plagued with this problem. The ECU would drop two cylinders as a failsafe due to one a few things the ECU did not expect to see. At the time, Late 90's, the solution was put a variable resistor on the barometric pressure sensor wire off the MAF in order to keep the ECU from checking for it in the first place. This was one of only a few solutions, but was the easiest. My bet is one of these sensors has had it and is causing it. I cannot say which ones it is but there were a few. Try to reset the ECU, disconnect the battery and start up the car. If I am right, it should run normal for a while and then go back to what it was doing, WRX style. If you reset the ECU, and restart it with no change, look towards a physical issue, something like a dead coil which would do basically the same thing.

/brox

speedyvr4

normally you would first check for spark,fuel,injector pulse and ignition pulse, but since your describing white smoke, I would just skip to a compression test. First do a dry compression test,then do a wet compression test. If there is a big difference in compression between wet/dry the problem is on the bottom end, if not the problem is gonna be in your valve train.

Diego

Quoting GVR4_1057:
Mine did that and it was the ECU.

same in my 90 gsx... coil pack went south. didnt know that at the time so i sold it for only 1k... still kicking myself for it..

talon

I agree with all comments so far. If you have a compression tester, it only takes a few min to check the compression. If it's 121 or lower....then it fails. Your looking for 164 psi or better.

While you got the plugs out, check that they are good and firing and double check the gap.

alright, yeah im gonna do the cylinder test and see what it reads, thank you fellas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mikus

164 no- as long as numbers are +/- 10% or so across, and down to maybe 130's at worst, you're getting by OK.

solidviper89

Quoting broxma:
The early days of dropping a 6 bolt in a 2G were plagued with this problem. The ECU would drop two cylinders as a failsafe due to one a few things the ECU did not expect to see. At the time, Late 90's, the solution was put a variable resistor on the barometric pressure sensor wire off the MAF in order to keep the ECU from checking for it in the first place. This was one of only a few solutions, but was the easiest. My bet is one of these sensors has had it and is causing it. I cannot say which ones it is but there were a few. Try to reset the ECU, disconnect the battery and start up the car. If I am right, it should run normal for a while and then go back to what it was doing, WRX style. If you reset the ECU, and restart it with no change, look towards a physical issue, something like a dead coil which would do basically the same thing.

/brox

Try this, this should solve issue.

4Grim

Check if you are getting spark from all 4 plug wires.

I am suspecting bad coil pack or power transistor or worse case bad plugs.

If you are getting spark..then it doesn't hurt to do a compression test.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned