The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cruise control help

dsmguy3

I am not sure what is wrong with my cruise control. I know most people would ditch it but I use my Galant on the highway everyday. All the appropriate lights come on but not cruise. Let me know if you guys have had similar issue. Also i have checked all fuses.
Thanks, e.j.

steve

Did it ever work?

TylerAdamson

I pulled my cruise in favor of a non-cruise cable. If you cover the shipping I'll give my old lines to you. It was in good working order when I pulled it off.

dsmguy3

Tyler,
I might hit you up on that. I want to troubleshoot this a bit more. I will let you know asap though.
e.j.

Last edited:

dsmguy3

I messed with it this morning on the way to work. I noticed that the cruise light would not come on untill I was over 25 MPH. This leads me to believe that the speed sensor works. Any thoughts?

Lucas03ES

My car does the same thing, except the light never comes on. It appears that everything is there and hooked up properly. Is there a fuse that can blow for this system?

DR1665

Double check that the rubber plug is still in the clutch pedal and engaging the safety switch up under the dash. If this plug is missing, the switch is open, and cruise will not activate. You will get the amber light in the control stalk, but not the green on the instrument cluster. The switch is located up under the dash, directly above the clutch pedal arm when the pedal is up all the way.

To test this theory, in the presence of a ratty rubber plug, try taping the switch down (or taping something to the clutch pedal there) and going for a test drive. Cruise only works above something like 25-35mph. If cruise now works, you've got to replace that rubber plug.

I don't feel like trying to find this part at the dealership, so my as-yet-uninstalled solution is to run a small screw/bolt through the pedal, adjust it's height with nuts, then slip a rubber vac line cap over the head to keep it from damaging the switch.

Good luck to you. There is nothing enjoyable about dicking around under the steering column. It's like a game of Twister in hell.

You might want to make sure that the hoses are not cracked and also check the pump is working. After almost 20 years of working with the head of engine (turbo) hoses get toast and crack. also the pump fails after many years of life intense work. The electrical part sounds it's working normal.

Wizardawd

If the light doesn't come on at all, that is usually an eletrical issue. The light on the stalk will come on regardless of clutch position, etc. So no light on stalk means a blown circuit, etc.

If the light works, but cruise doesn't..the usual issue on DSMs is the vaccumn hose running from the cable servo to the pump. Old, brittle and/or soaked with oil and it cracks or just comes off. After that, DR mentioned the clutch switch, and another thing is to remove the cover from the cable assembly and clean it throughly with carb/brake cleaner. Then relube with white lithium grease. Cleaning the assembly is also a usual fix for CC that surges, jerks or takes a very long time to engage.

After that, check codes.

Wiz

dsmguy3

wizardawd I swear i noticed the thing "almost" engage once, but it lost too much speed and i noticed a sudden loss of speed as if it was trying to hold it but i just couldn't quite keep the speed up. Since then I have not been able to replicate that so I'm not sure if it was my imagination. I will pull apart the assy and clean it and see whats what.

ktmrider

If it "almost" engaged at a lower speed I would definitely check the pump/vac hose assemblies first.
Mine went out one day, I could get it to engage on occasion about -10mph below the setpoint and even then would cut out on a rise bigger than a cig butt.

Have you checked the codes? IMO you are wasting your time tearing things apart if you haven't checked the cruise ECU codes, especially when it is so easy.

dsmguy3

oh yea man sorry i didn't get a code off of there but i am looking for something else to test it with in case the light I'm using is bad is bad.

dsmguy3

wait does someone have a diagram showing where the vacuum lines go from and to? Or a good engine bay shot showing all this.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned