The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Headlight difference's?

Everybody goes after the 93 headlights............why?

My question's are;1)What's the difference from the 91/92's?
2)What all headlight options are there for our cars?
And....... 3) Are they bolt on? ( no hacking/cutting)

Thanks to everyone that takes the time to answer this question, which I'm sure has been asked a thousands times over. Much appreciated gentlemen

cspetros

It has to do with the glass lens and the inner reflective coating. The lenses on the 93's are crystal clear, while the

turbowop

Quoting VR4ish:
Is it possible to replace the lens from the 93's onto the 90-92's?

Yes, but the '91 and '92 lights don't look as good behind the glass. I think the earlier lights need the diffused lens anyway to properly disperse the light, since the reflectors aren't multi-angled like the '93s.

I just think it would look much better if I had the clear lenses on my headlamps because I have the JDM ones with the little city light in it.

Hertz

Staff member
Headlight assemblies from non USDM cars will also mount but are constructed differently. The JDM and EDM lights are one-piece housing/basket/lenses. They also use different bulbs. There are some super rare electronically adjustable ones too. About as rare as a CF hood buy without drama.

turbowop

Quoting VR4ish:
I just think it would look much better if I had the clear lenses on my headlamps because I have the JDM ones with the little city light in it.

That's a whole different ballgame with the JDM's. The 93 lenses won't mount to those.

Muntermugge

"Headlight assemblies from non USDM cars will also mount but are constructed differently. The JDM and EDM lights are one-piece housing/basket/lenses. They also use different bulbs. There are some super rare electronically adjustable ones too. About as rare as a CF hood buy without drama."

The ectronically adjustable headlight is stock on EDM Galant GTI(E33)and other Galant from Denmark.

Maybe i'm wrong, but I think all the guys, who drives with the JDM headlight in US will have problem with the light.
In Japan and UK all cars drives in left site of the road, and the JDM light has asymmetric light.
In Europe (excepts UK) all drives in right site of the road, and it's also asymmetric light, but to the other site

Brunoboy

Quoting Hertz:
Headlight assemblies from non USDM cars will also mount but are constructed differently. The JDM and EDM lights are one-piece housing/basket/lenses. They also use different bulbs. There are some super rare electronically adjustable ones too. About as rare as a CF hood buy without drama.

ROFL

So the 93's are pretty much bolt on? I don't really want to hack up my non hacked up gvr4, and are these two sets of headlights all that we have to choose from? Another thing, what the hell are "city lights?" driving/daytime lights? Hell.......if you got a nice lookin set up, post some pics for me. Appreciate the info guys.

Wop,
What set up are you running that have yellows in them? I'm feeling those.

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

93s are a direct bolt on affair. I got some from Garfield and refurbished them to better than new quality and loved them.

turbowop

I have '93 lights.

City bulbs were used on the "facelift" JDM cars that used the corner light as a blinker only. The city light is basically a parking/marker lamp that resides in the headlight housing.

DR1665

Quoting Muntermugge:

I only *wish* my JDM headlights lit the road like that. Wow.

Thanks everybody. This info has been helpful.
I would've liked to seen a couple pics of the lights mounted though.( JDM, 93's, and "city light" jdm's)

curtis

You need 93 and 92's and a week because of paint drying time, baking etc. Its been done a few times
These are the ones I built for myself. Built Paul a set, then Hill a set and sold mine to Jason and still have a set to build for someone here. Dragging my feet but I did pick up the new item for the build before my trip if you read this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Then there's my new set to build.

DR1665

Quoting Dbossman:
Thanks everybody. This info has been helpful.
I would've liked to seen a couple pics of the lights mounted though.( JDM, 93's, and "city light" jdm's)

Sure thing man. 464/1000 is running JDMs (H1 high beam w/ city light).

Comparison of USDM to JDM (notice JDM unit is taller, but mounting points in same place)

USDM headlight installed.

JDM headlight installed.

A couple things I've discovered, having run the JDMs for about a year now:
1. Because they are RHD, they bias the light pattern to the left. They have to be aimed downward quite a bit to keep from blinding oncoming traffic.
2. Light output is perhaps 40% of what you can see in the post above where I quoted Munter. Very spotty, although even aimed down so much, they still do a good job of lighting street signs in the distance. Go figure.
3. The JDMs I've got (with the H1 high beam - not sure about all of them) use a dual filament low beam. You can wire them so that, when you trigger the high beams, the high beam lights, and the low beam brightens. I do not have this feature set up yet. (Really requires relays and upgraded harnesses to tolerate the current/heat.)
4. The H1 high beams require a special adapter that goes between the bulb (which has only 1-blade) and the wire harness (which has 2 blades). One of mine was broken. It took me almost a year to find someone in Australia who could hook me up with a replacement.

Last edited:

evo8ya

My JDM's shine fine at night. Maybe they were adjusted before I bought them but I can see fine at night and have never been flashed by oncoming cars. With the JDM's in my evo, I get flashed all the time if I don't have them at their lowest electronic level setting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts