The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

using iphone to tune?

dsmless

I know theres software so you can monitor your obd2 veihicle out there so I was just curios if theres a way to install a logger tool on the iphone and make a custom cable from a obd2 to obd1 that way you have something that can log better than a palm and not as bulky as a laptop? just a thought though

1G's aren't OBDII, and they use a very odd 1953 baud rate, so don't expect anyone to come out with anything like that, sorry.

Whoodoo

Plus its not easy to just whip out an app for the iphone. Its something about software not being open source or whatever.

14u2nV

Yeah, I've got the app for reading obdII cars, and just need to buy the connector to use it, but nobody ever did anything to use it on older cars. ALTHOUGH, they have several stand-alone sensors that can be used which I plan to do one day.

14u2nV,
What's this app called, and where can you get the connection cable?

dsmless

What I had in mind was to use a keyspan cable with a USB to USB adapter going to the phonesport and instA
alling or finding a way to install a mmcd tool program or such via bluetoothing it or exporting it to the phone, well just a
thought

CarRacer

Quoting Dbossman:
14u2nV,
What's this app called, and where can you get the connection cable?

I think it's called Rev. I have the Rev Lite version to display the accelerometer built into the phone.

14u2nV

Yeah, it's Rev. I used to have the free version, but accidentally bought the full one after a jailbreak, so I figure I might as well save up and get the connector for it.

Rev

Kiwi is one of the connectors and has all the extra sensors: kiwi

sensors

Last edited:

Thanks for the info guys. Thats bad ass. Once again, the iPhone continues to impress me. I love this phone. Now if they would only provide some type of flash player for it.

Diego

Same with the droid, wish I had flash. But I was glimpsing through I.T or Modified at Barnes n Noble tht had a programable ecu tht would run with iphone, droid, and other smart phones....

What if you were running a 2G or EVO ECU? Then you could use the iphone OBDII apps.

14u2nV

As a new twist,, do you think this might be a viable way to use logging on the iphone?

"
It's now possible to enjoy Palm OS apps on a jailbroken iPhone. Thanks to StyleTap, your iPhone (or iPod Touch) can essentially be modded into a Palm device. Granted, the iPhone is kind of arriving late to the party. StyleTap, after all, already serves up Palm OS emulation for Symbian and Windows Mobile. And while it may seem strange to some that there is still such demand for the Palm OS, it does exist.

Of course, since Apple strictly prohibits emulators, StyleTap had to turn to Cydia to bring this opportunity to iPhone users. And if you're willing to fork over $50, you can give Palm OS apps a whirl on your iPhone, which is kind of a trippy experience. Luckily, a 14-day free trial is available if you want to test it out before committing to that price tag.

Some of the features include: Copy and paste of text and bitmaps between Palm OS apps and native iPhone apps, a virtual memory card, backwards compatibility, audio recording with playback, TCP/IP connectivity, exporting vCards into iPhone contacts, and familiar virtual “function buttons” for the simulation of the Palm hardware buttons. As you can imagine, the iPhone enables users to run Palm OS 5.2 apps even faster than on the native Palm OS devices.

PalmEmulator.png

"

If you could load the logging program onto the iphone, use the palm emulator then find a way to connect it, would it work??

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
If stars aligned and the hardware worked out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think not even the newest palm devices were able to log on our cars.

dsmless

i have the 14 day trial on my iphone, and I think it will run out before I can get the right cable configuration to log the gvr4 ecu, as for the logger tool I have tried to open/download it fron the web site and it wont go have tryed bluetoothing it and no, trying to install it threw itunes as I type this so see if it goes, so good luck everyone

Quoting Specter:
Do an evo III ecu have a obd-II port?

Yes, all US cars since 1996 have OBDII.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned