The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

reverse problem??

4doorboost

so i just rebuilt my motor put everything bacl and the tranny was fine. didnt rive it for about a week went to drive it today and when i put it in reverse it doesnt go in reverse it tries to roll foward? any ideas maybe low fluid? any info helps

4doorboost

i think its goin into 4th instead of reverse is there w way to possibly adjust the shifter or cables? i know reverse is good its just not putting it in reverse

TRBODSM

Check the bolts to the shifter cable mount on the tranny, they should be two 12mm bolts that bolt it down and two more on that little mount. If they are loose or one is missing replace it and make sure they are tight enough so it doesnt happen again.

Specter

Is it going into fifth gear? Yes the car is trying to go into 4th gear instead of reverse. You need to adjust the shifter cables properly. It will take some time, i had the same problem after a clutch job, senior members here helped me a lot. So give it sometime and adjust the cables, check, adjust again, recheck until it shifts like it should. You might get it into reverse and might loose the first gear. That is also the issue of proper cable setting. If its going into fifth then you only need to adjust the cable in front of the shifter. If it does not shift into fifth either then you need to adjust both of the cables.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned