The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New owner - 1211/2000

Hello everyone. New owner of 1211/2000 - all stock, 70K miles on it.

Previous owner was in his 70's and has owned it since it had 5K miles. The car was running when he traded it in at a very small car dealership, they drove it for a while, and then it stopped running. I had it towed home and I'm hoping for an easy fix to get her started again.

I've had 2 Evo IX, a 6 bolt swap 98 GSX, and now the GVR4...I'm working my way back through time I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I started out looking for 1G DSM, when a friend pointed me to this site for a car that was for sale here. That did not work out at all, but I'm glad it didn't because I found this one!

Here are some terrible pics I took in my garage...

I look forward to being on here. Thanks for looking!!

Looks to be very clean. Looks like you have your work cut out for you if it has salt on it at all. Hopefully thats mostly snow with no salt. Unless you're the type to drive it in the winter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys.

No - it's snow not salt, but after 19 years in PA I'm sure it has seen its share of salt and is still lookin' good! This is more of a project car, not my DD so it won't be seeing winters any more.

Now even with low quality pics that car looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Yes it does that car looks really really good. Mint you can say body wise. I like it and in white to nice.

Very nice, unmolested gvr4. Seems to be a good find, especially of it's an easy fix. Good luck and keep us posted.
Oh.......and welcome to the org. For future refferences,(jertech) Whites always the fastest, and sexiest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Great color and that engine bay looks very clean. No typical tire shine sprayed everywhere to give the illusion of clean either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Adorsey

Welcome to the board! Love the car. +1 for the white!

MitchooO

Take care of that one!! I havent seen one around PA or MD with anything under 100k on it! great find!!!

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting dennyt4:
... all stock, 70K miles on it. ...they drove it for a while, and then it stopped running.

Get the ECU rebuilt STAT, and remove the timing belt cover and look for shreddage... hopefully it had the timing belt and related services done around 60k.

Just took the cover off this morning (damn it's so cold here!)...no shredding...belt looks new. Just filled up with kerosene and will be getting the torpedo heater going to heat the garage up so I can poke around and see what I can find.

Thanks

4Grim

Car looks really clean and well taken care of...lucky guy to find it.

Does the car try to turn over at all?

cheekychimp

Very nice looking car! From the state of that engine bay it looks like it was very well looked after. You said the car stopped running, so what are the current symptoms/problems? Is it seized? Does it turn over? Electrical/Starter issue? Seeing fuel at the injectors? Looking at those photos, I have got to say I'm with you on betting it has to be an easy fix. Just may not be so easy to find.

Was it alarmed? I had an aftermarket immobilzer go bad on me once. That was fun!

Last edited:

Thanks again guys!

Yes, after checking the belt to make sure it was fine, I decided to try and start the car. Lights on the dash come on as they should, no clicking from behind the dash or anything like that, and the car cranks over just fine. When I bought the car from the very small dealer he said he thought it might be the CAS, and after trying to start it I am inclined to agree. I'm going to get one from a buddy and give that a shot because I'm pretty sure that's it.

I also cleaned up the passenger door yesterday with some polishing compound and detailing spray...it came out very nice, so I think the car will clean up extremely well. I'm excited to get rid of all the snow around here and be able to wash and detail it!

Hertz

Staff member
When it cranks the tach should move if the CAS is functioning.

Don't forget to check out the ECU.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned