The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is it true?

MitchooO

You can do it..its just a matter of how much you like to keep your brains in one place or you like to rattle it around in your head, haha. I didnt mind when i had the 1g intrax purple springs on mine, It just liked to bottum out ALOT.

onesickcrx

I use to have my car really low. trans hit the ground alot so if you make nice plate to cover that and you dont mind scraping every where slam it

But I heard that low springs doesn't agree with the car when launching it. Is that true or does that not matter?

prove_it

1-2" inch drop over stock height is the best in my opinion for a daily driver. Anything past that is just rice BS. for Race track cars yes, street cars, hell no.

+1 Proveit.
To drop it more than an inch or two is ricey, and as for the launching Q, IMO, dropping it to low will definitely affect your 60ft. time. Are you weekend racing or something, or strictly DD?

Quoting prove_it:
1-2" inch drop over stock height is the best in my opinion for a daily driver. Anything past that is just rice BS. for Race track cars yes, street cars, hell no.

I have coilovers and the car is way lower than 1". It's not a race car but it's not a daily either. Car handles like a dream. If you have a nice setup then it's not "rice". If you just have the typical blown shocks and 1g springs to make it uneven and retarded looking like some people have on here then that's unneccesary.

hot:
img.php

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm actually just bought the car a week ago. And the car is now in the shop getting a aem ems and a couple of other stuff. So i can dyno it. But yes i would like torace it on the weekends or whenever i can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif. But yes thats what i heard low suspensions affect the launching of the car. I just wanted to make sure before i do anything.

I just dont like adjustable coilovers. They never convinced me as a smooth ride. To bouncy for me. Unless anyone can recommened a good coilover.

You have ridden in junk ground controls with 10k lb springs probably. I love my Ksports on the Galant, the Skyline had Cuscos that were fine and the rx7 had JIC Magic that were decent.

prove_it

In my opinion, a daily driver is something you can drive EVERYDAY and in any city WITHOUT changing anything. In that pic you would not be able to drive around here. We have steep angled drives here and there and not to mention....

potholes!

Yea it does look sexy, but it's not for me. Everyone has their tastes. I think coilovers are junk and I will never use them on any car I own. They are generic and are not "real" supension. I've seen so many crack and split the sleeves too.

It's my opinion but I feel like the evo suspension mod is still by far one of the best daily driver suspension mods yet. After that would be AGX shocks with H&R springs.

My two cents.

Lonewolf64

^^Not all coilovers are created equal.^^ That sort of generalization is a stupid one to make.

Quoting prove_it:
I think coilovers are junk and I will never use them on any car I own. They are generic and are not "real" supension. I've seen so many crack and split the sleeves too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This is what you are thinking of which is garbage:
dropzone_coilovers.jpg

When people who are serious about suspension say coilovers they mean this:
tein.ss_d.jpg

It's like every thread I see you posting in it's just BS like "Coilovers are junk they are generic and not real suspension." We aren't talking about dropzone ebay bullshit we are talking about real $$$ good suspension. Virtually every car on here (and most other import car sites) that competes on any serious level of motorsport besides drag racing has fully adjustable coilovers.

vr4play

Tein coilovers are by far not a good example of good coilovers. I just did an s2000 over the summer where I took off Tein and installed KW and the differacne in quality was amazing. No one makes a really good set of coilovers for the Galant. Just made in china junk. JIC are garbage too. We tried a set on a race car and they failed. Hotbits used to be good but I have heard they recently switched manufactures and the quality has gone down but don't quote me on that. I am using Ground control on Koni yellows which is not the greatest set up but with the right spring choice it is much better than the china junk you can buy on ebay. Slamming your car is the worst thing you can do for it. It can be done but it is bad on the cv joints and you ruin the handling. You don't want the control arm to be at an angle with the ball joint higher than the inner mounting point. It ruins the camber curve. You need to have some travel between the shock body and the bumpstop. If your car is slammed and you think it handles good you should try raising it up. My car used to be really low but raising it made a big improvment. Good dampers and the proper setup make a huge differance. If you have coilovers you need to have the vehicle corner weighted to get the car properly balanced.

4thStroke

I know of a company not too far away that would be up to the task of building GVR4 coilovers. They are very high quality pieces and arent the cheapest, but when Im ready for coilovers, they are the company I will be resorting to. They are called AMR Engineering, they are out of Seattle, WA. The 2g set is in the $1600 range and the Evo stuff is priced at $1850. I know a few guys local to me who use them. They back their product and Ive heard nothing but great things about them. Im not talking about the typical, "the coilovers handle so nice," from someone who only appreciates a good handling coilover of a smooth surface, face it, coilovers need to handle everything. Many coilovers feel like the car is going to skip off the road when they hit a bump, the AMRs dont do this. One guy I know is a rally racer and the other works for English Racing. Even Lucas English (owner of English) really likes them, and Luke is a very blunt guy.

If someone is legitimately serious about forking out the money for a set, I can bring my stuff up to them once I pull my AGXs and stock springs. Should be able to do so within a few weeks.

They have stuff online and on youtube, if anyones interested.

CarRacer

I have Ksports on my daily driven galant and I corner weighted the car myself. It's not slammed on the ground and it corners great. The ride is also smoother than my old MKIV GTI with lowering springs.

It is true that lowering the car too much will hose the front end geometry though. I doubt many people have bumpsteered their cars here but it'd be interesting to see how the numbers turn out with each inch of drop. Then again it seems like most people enjoy spending eleventy hours researching engine parts and horsepower and just using suspension to get the car to look how they want.

prove_it

My bad guys, I thought we were discussing the coilovers that you get for 50 bucks. I could have cleared that up a bit better.

Coilovers like Tein, KW, Ground control, etc are pretty good. Only thing is that when it comes to our cars we are limited and that's why I thought we were talking about ecrap coilovers.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned