The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

windsheilds

gmp

im thinking about getting a new windsheild put in the car. Mine has a few cracks/chips,
and well i feel it's time to see clear again...

I guess my question is cost what should i be looking as far as cost...

thanks
gmp

turbowop

Safelite came to my house to do the windshield on 1051. Came out to a little over $200. The guy did great work and I haven't had an issue with it.

Wilfongtsi

Does your new windshield have the little mitsu mark on it?

Last edited:

gmp

great i found a safelite installer myself. They quoted 238.00 install/labor and the best part they'll be here tomorrow..

Did any of you re-paint the wind sheild trim while it was off the car?

Rausch

Safelite is a great company- we use them regularly. They have a good warranty program as well.

Regarding the Mitsu logo on the glass- the answer is: No, it's not OEM glass, and therefore will not have the etching. You can request that they source the OEM glass (In some rare instances, this is all that is available) But expect pricing to go up significantly, of it's even still available for these cars.

464/2K

Quoting gmp:
great i found a safelite installer myself. They quoted 238.00 install/labor and the best part they'll be here tomorrow..

have them install a rubber weather stripping.....bye bye fading metal corners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

atsiauto

Safelite ? you have got to be kidding me . They are the worst replacement auto glass people on the planet.

t
I do the galants with new clips for 175.00 and use a non Safelite part . They use a brand of glass they fabricate themselves, its brittle , loaded with distortion and sure to break so easily again that you will be right back in the same boat you came in .

Avoid them , get a independent installer , have them order a new set of clips as most of yours will break , safelite would glue the moldings on when you are not looking.

I have installed glass for 23 years in cars and I would NEVER recommend them to anyone.

You can fill pages on google searches of people that have had similar tales to tell .

turbowop

Quoting gmp:

Yeah, I pulled it all off a few days beforehand and painted it. I had the guy install new clips and reinstall them when he did the glass.

I can see no distortion in the windshield in 1051 and have watched rocks get flung from the tires on vehicles in front of me and smack the glass without issue. I'm guaranteed at least one flying rock on every trip I make over the pass to Seattle.

Last edited:

gmp

will they have clips on hand? Or is that something i need to get myself?
i know prob a dumb questions but well i've only replaced one windsheild in my past.

gmp

well good to know thanks Twop

misterfixit

Quoting Rausch:
Safelite is a great company- we use them regularly. They have a good warranty program as well.

Regarding the Mitsu logo on the glass- the answer is: No, it's not OEM glass, and therefore will not have the etching. You can request that they source the OEM glass (In some rare instances, this is all that is available) But expect pricing to go up significantly, of it's even still available for these cars.

Had an icicle drop off our ash tree and go thrugh the side window of the dd. mitsu glass was £51.30 non oem glas ranged from £80 up to £250!! give mitsubishi a call you may be pleasantly surprised.

Rich

Cost from JNZ is $292.89 and that's just for the glass itself. I doubt a local dealer would be cheaper.

I had the windshield in my Talon replaced by a local guy who came to my work, had it done very quickly, did a very high quality job, used a PPG windshield, and all for $150.

gmp

got it installed today looks so good im excited to see again. Now please rock's don't come find me!!!!!
Also i came out ok for price wise 238.63 with labor and tax not to bad.

4thStroke

Is there a way to refinish the glass? My glass is in good shape, its just pitted and weathered from the elements. I thought my wipers were shot, but when I put new ones on, it was evident that it was the wipers, but rather the surface isnt smooth enough for the wipers to work correctly.

Id hate to have to replace the glass because of old age. More MMC the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

The windshield I had pulled out of 1051 wasn't cracked or rock chipped either. Just pitted really bad from over a decade of daily driving. Made it really annoying when driving into the sun. It's not a Mitsu OE windshield, but I kept it "just in case". It's sitting in the garage.

464/2K

I did the same thing as wop like 2yrs ago. 464's was fine just pitted to sh*t. the driver side window had some to but i got that taken care of by some tool bags trying to steel the galant in highschool.

Dan D

410's windshield was also badly pitted. I put off replacing if for a while until a rock finally helped me make up my mind. I used safelite and have used them on my other two vehicles too (Houston's rough on windshields). They have specials every now and then so if you can wait for it, you'll get a good deal. On our VW they used OE glass. On the galant, I got PPG glass.

I had them come to the house and hung out in the garage with them while they worked. They probably didn't like me checking their work the whole time but it got done right without me questioning them. Only problem I had was they ran out of the right clips so they had to go get some more and come back the next day to finish. Get some clips before hand just in case.

jepherz

Staff member
This is kinda OT, but has anyone had the REAR glass replaced? The defrost lines on mine are all torn up from someone using a razor to remove tint. If it ended up costing about as much as some of you guys are paying for the front, I'd consider having it done.

gmp

i think my back window was broken before i found glass under the backseat.And don't all vr4's come with a little aws eitch on the bottom center?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts