The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Questions on Transmission Gear Movement

raptorWagon

Opened up the End Case cover to check the two 36mm nuts if they are loose and well I want to know if anything in there is suppose to have any play or if there is a tolerance/limit for play. As well as is this rail suppose to wiggle side to side? Also that brass gear does it just sit in there or is it actually suppose to be snug in there? Mine fell out with the cover and looks like it has been peppered with nicks around the outside rim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

here's the clip
click

I can move this back and forth
IMG_1246.jpg

And this synchro just sort of fell out with the cover
IMG_1252.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

Normal. In the first pic, the part you are sliding is the sleeve for the fifth gear hub, which is what engages it.

The wave spring and synchro on the end have a tendency to fall out when the end case is removed.

BTW, also after watching your vid, the plastic dealie is the guide for fluid. That little bit of movement is normal.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

That's what a friend of mine said too, thanks for breaking down what those parts are though, Mark.

raptorWagon

I have been on the hunt to solve my "5th and reverse nowhere to be found" issue, checking linkage and whatever to solve the problem for me doing this in the first place.

Alan(whoodoo) stopped by earlier and after lunch we tinkered with it a little, the lever on the transmission for 5th and Reverse refuses to lift up all the way to shift into gear, so could it be possibly a bent fork? I know now that the bushings in the shifter lever and base itself need to be replaced as pointed out by Alan, but I don't think this would cause the lack of movement into gear. trying to get 5th the shifter will stop as if it is being blocked from going anymore foreward.

In the second pic the teeth on that blocker ring look pretty rounded.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts