The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where does everyone's coolant temperature gauge run?

When mine is warmed up it is in the middle...but sometimes I see it creep past the middle when I am not beating on it or anything.

This happened when it was 20 degrees out.

I have no visible symptoms of a blown head gasket and the car pulls strong.

I just wanted to know where your temp gauge runs in general.

Thanks

ercp98

mine is at the middle too of the stock temp gauge. but according to my logger i get to 206 while idling and usually settles at 186 +/- 5 degrees. i have a 180 thermostat.

turbowop

The stock gauge is pretty lame. I've seen temperature swings at the ECU of 30F make no difference either way on the dash gauge. Even when 503 is running at 165F, the damn dash gauge is in the middle.

Polish

If the gauge is moving past the middle then the car is over heating. Like Mark said it is very lame, it's a dummy gauge. It will be in the middle from 165º-210º+...

Once it moves you're likely 230º+...

Get a logger so you know the real temperature, they are dirt cheap these days and simple to use. It will pay for itself over time and it should be the first thing to get anyway, plus they are cool.

It's sounds like it's about like the nifty boost gauge on our dashes(joking).
On a serious note, mine warms up and right to the middle it goes. I definitely agree with wop on this, "datalogger". The only way to get true temp is through the ecu. They definitely pay for themselves over time. IMO it's a great investment.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned