The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

$2dollar boost controller? will it work

dsmless

So I was just wasting time at work cutting out holes in sheetmetal to just chuck at a trash can across the hanger, and it hit me:
\ for everyone running a external wastegate, lets say the spring is a 10 lb spring, couldn't you just shim the spring to increase the pressure, just like in some oil pumps, you add washers/shims under the spring to increase oil pressure, so wouldn't this same theory work, it would be alot of open and close on the wastegate but it you give you a very accurate/constant boost, without the use of a controller just straingt vacumn, well just throwing it out there,,,?

Terry Posten

That's how forge fine tunes their BOVs.

Mine came with 3 springs and 3 washers.

boostedinaz

Sure could it just more of a pain that buying a boost controller.

Ian M

Little more than $2 ($8 or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)but I've been using Grainger style valves for years. Quicker and easier than taking the wastegate apart to change the boost. At that price,I can carry two and swap them when I dump race gas in.

Last edited:

dsmless

well it is a pain in the ass to open and close the top of the wastegate but after 4 shims (.064 thousands thick) i can run 18 lbs all day, i was shooting for 20 but its the holidays and the lazyness got to me, but I an intrested in the "grainer" valve any info on that

steve

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts