The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SHIFTER CABLE BEARINGS Bushings Advice.

Nabeel

I am having difficulty to shift between gears especially on the fifth gear. It heapen after I replaced the clutch. I am suspecting the SHIFTER BEARINGS Bushings at the end of shift cables under bonnet. I will buy an upgrade & I am confused what to buy. Any experiance or suggestions please....

Gimpin

go to any sporting goods store and buy a pack of rollerblade/skateboard bearings .... they press in nicely with a clamp and fit snugly over the pin.

Barnes

More than likely it isn't your shifter bushings. You are probably having a clutch disengagement issue. Especially since it coincided with replacing your clutch.

Nabeel

Nice idea! Is it universal size or should I ask for specific size?

Nabeel

Clutch is OK.. I can feel some thing wrong when moving the shifter. It is cable adjustment or buishings problem. I spry white grease on the shifter and under bonnet shifter bearings. It feels better when shifting.

Gimpin

they are all universal .... at least in the country

Nabeel

OK..Got them. I just call my liitle brother he has some extra bearings.

atc250r

Staff member
I put the bearings in mine, I wished I never did. They make it feel too notchy.

Nabeel

atc250r'

What you mean? Is it bad? I just want to not miss gears if I race some one..

Gimpin

cant be any worse than slopy dried out rubber inserts .... the inserts make it so that there is no flex in the shifter bushing ... so if you have any "notchyness" to start with it will amplify this feeling since there is no rubber to absorb this feeling. The bushing/bearing mod won't make you miss gears, on the contrary it make is much more clear and precise where each gear is

atc250r

Staff member
I just don't like the way it feels. I never had any problems shifting with the stock bushings and I thought this would firm it up a little but it made it kind of notchy IMHO. I guess its better than worn out stockers if yours are really whooped but it sounds like you might need to shim the clutch fork pivot ball inside the bellhousing and maybe replace the fork. Also, if you had the flywheel machined the step could be cut wrong. The problems started after you replaced the clutch, I would look in that area first.

Nabeel

Actually there where a problem before I changed the clutch. And I hit the cables when I was trying to fit the trany back several times. Also after I grease the bushings I add washers to them it improved the shifting. Also I am not sure if I put back the lever (gearshift rev) correctly. (the thing which i should fit shift cable in). I will start with the bushings which is the cheapest.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Checking to see if the cables are adjusted properly is the cheapest option.

EMX5636

I've had the roller bearings, and while I didn't mind how they felt, I hated trying to take the cables off. I could not get the one cable off the shifter shaft to save my life. I had to un-bolt the 90* selector arm and leave it on the cable to remove the trans. This was only about 6 months after putting the bearings in. They had pretty much seized tight to the shaft.

JNZ sells delrin ones for around $20 IIRC.

dsmer06

I had the same problem with the skateboard bearings in #36. In #246 I am using the underhood bushing kit that AMS sells, and I like it a lot.

atc250r

Staff member
The JNZ delrin ones sound like a much better option. I'm going to have to order a set of them when I do my motor swap. I'm sure my bearings will be seized onto my shift arms, they've been on there a couple of years.

John

Nabeel

I am getting better shifting now. I used the Bearings & Extended clutch slave cylinder rod. That is cheap options.

Last edited:

EMX5636

^ Agreed.

If you are needing that, you probably have a pedal, hydraulic, or fork/pivot problem...

Nabeel

I used the longer slave rod because of the new ACT2100 PP. I am using the car only for weekends. So I am looking for fast shifting to kill new cars between traffic lights.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts