The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

chrome molding off????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwrneeds90

hey wasup people i just wanted to know how to take the chrome molding off I've searched but havent found anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif lmk

Last edited by a moderator:

Why you want it off? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.giff?

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

It's attached with double-sided tape. Just peel it out of the channel it's in.

atc250r

Staff member
FYI, you tried to post this in the How-To section. As it says in the description of that forum "THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR QUESTIONS or DISCUSSIONS" so I moved it here for you.

Also, if you take a moment to properly capitalize and punctuate you will get more of a response.

John

Quoting turbowop:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

It's attached with double-sided tape. Just peel it out of the channel it's in.

But I don't think you'll ever get it back in there RITE.

turbowop

Buy new chrome stripping to reinstall into the channel. Why is this so difficult? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

turbowop

If you want to paint it, leave it in and mask around it. Off the car it's pretty flexible and could easily crack the paint.

Better yet, buy some new molding in any color you want to put on.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

where can u buy new chrome stripping that is actually decent? I dont want to use some cheap walmart stuff that the chrome flakes off instantly. Mine was painted the color of the car and it looks horrible now so i wanna replace it.

+1 That's why I asked WHY he wanted it off.

If your trying to replace it, use a blow drier to heat up the glue on the tape and go slow!

turbowop

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
where can u buy new chrome stripping that is actually decent? I dont want to use some cheap walmart stuff that the chrome flakes off instantly. Mine was painted the color of the car and it looks horrible now so i wanna replace it.

You can still get the factory stuff from the dealer. It comes in a flat box with a roll of it inside. Each roll is enough to do a rear bumper and that is the only part number available for it. It's cut-to-fit. You need a quantity of four "rolls" to do the whole car. Each one is $40, and that's with my discount at the dealer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I would suggest looking at moldings at a body/paint supply shop and picking something that's decent quality and close in looks to the factory stuff. Probably would be way cheaper.

I wouldn't bother with a heat gun to remove the old stuff. It comes right out easily enough.

pwrneeds90

I just wanted to get it off because i got tired of looking at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But should i just paint it the same color of the car(nile black)?

pwrneeds90

Quoting atc250r:
FYI, you tried to post this in the How-To section. As it says in the description of that forum "THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR QUESTIONS or DISCUSSIONS" so I moved it here for you.

Also, if you take a moment to properly capitalize and punctuate you will get more of a response.

John

Sorry about that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

turbowop

Quoting pwrneeds90:
I just wanted to get it off because i got tired of looking at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif But should i just paint it the same color of the car(nile black)?

Do you just not like the chrome color? Just painting it if it's old may not work. Older trim sometimes has the clear protective film coming off in spots and painting it won't cover this up. If you want it to look good, but you want black molding, just peel out the old chrome and get a different type from a paint supply shop to replace it with. If all the chrome is in good shape, then just mask around it and paint it with either black rattle can or have a paint supply place mix you up a can of nile black.

pwrneeds90

It still has the clear film on it,but i was worried that if i was to paint it the paint would come off right away or in a few days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

I've never painted the molding myself, but plenty of others on this website have and from what I can see, it holds up pretty well.

pwrneeds90

Would you happen to know the part number for the rear molding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts