The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock Intake Manifold Modifying?

mean_green

While I have my intake mani off is there anything I can do to it to make it perform better? Can I port it out? Maybe someone has a link they could show me on a 'how to' do this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughtyx.gif

TIA
-Al

belize1334

Just get a cyclone manifold and kiss the stocker good by. It flows just as well as stock and will lower your boost threshold by about 200 rpms as seen in this dyno comparison.

prove_it

Don't bother porting it yourself. You'll get maybe 1 hp and could end up with metal shavings getting into the engine if you don't clean it well enough. You can however send it off and have it extrude honed. This smooths out the runners and polishes the runners too. It will increase air flow and power, but if your running a stock engine you'll barely notice.

Ralli380Gvr4

I've been planning on getting my factory intake manifold extrude honed. I wish there was a flow comparison between an extrude honed manifold, cyclone and the Evo III. Does anyone on the board run an Evo III intake manifold?

1qkfwd

I'm getting ready to run an Evo III mani. From what I read it's only gonna make a difference if your running a 2g head since the ports line up in size.

And to add isn't the extrude hone almost if not more than buying an aftermarket intake. Originaly when I was looking, I ended up paying about the same for my JMF as the extrude hone.

Last edited:

RedTwo

Bimmerbishi? ran a dyno comparison of a 2g manifold vs Evo 3 manifold.

I thought the 2g/evo manifold didn't even seal around the intake ports on a 1g/VR4 head?

Rausch

!g and 2g/early Ebo ports are indeed different. Anythign that will fit the latter will not just bolt up to a 1g head and work.

The Extrude honing was a great option when there really weren't any options, or if you're of the 'every last ounce from a bone stock car' persuasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1qkfwd

They don't line up the ports on a 2g are slight higher than a 1g. That's what gives it a straighter shot of air to the valve. I am going to use a 2g head on my 6-bolt. That way I'll be able to use the Evo 3 mani. There's rumors going around that the Evo mani has made upwards of 600 hp, and that's about where it becomes a restriction. I will test that theory.

I believe the only good option is a ported cyclone manifold. I've seen dyno results of the two and cyclone has incredible low and mid range. It tends to die off a Lil more than the 1g. Knowone really wants to take the time to properly port and setup the cyclone. It's just to easy to fork out the cash for a sheet metal intake.

prove_it

I like my cyclone manifold. My horsepower and torque curves are crazy. Some day I'll have it extrude honed so I can pick up a few in the high end. I like the increase in torque and drivablity of the cyclone manifold in a daily driver. If your going full blown 10sec drag car, then a SMIM is the best option.

381gvr4

Quoting Rausch:
......if you're of the 'every last ounce from a bone stock car' persuasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the idea of keeping the engine bay "stock looking". I also like the idea of an easy 20hp from the process BUT $440+core for the work is just not worth the $$$ IMO. It comes out to $22 per 1HP. Again, personally I would like to keep the stock look over the SMIM for sleeper effect only..... I do have several cores to send out so there would be no down time if FFWD would do sometig on the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

1qkfwd

You can add a 50 wet shot for half that price and still keep the stock look. So it looks as if the process is still up there in price. I guess the only advantage I see in this is road racing and running in a stock class.

You should be able to hand port the cyclone, that the joys of takin it apart.

Lonewolf64

Is it possible to get a cyclone manifold extrude honed? I would imagine this would be the best of both worlds.

belize1334

No reason you couldn't. You'd have to take the butterfly plates out and then plug the shaft holes and then reassemble the manifold so that the process was uniform for each runner w/o compromising the butterfly shaft seals. On the other hand, you could leave the primaries alone and just hone the secondaries. That'd keep the low RPM the same and just exaggerate the affect of the secondaries.

Ralli380Gvr4

Oh yeah...I forgot about the Evo III/2g head difference.

Quoting 381gvr4:
Quoting Rausch:
......if you're of the 'every last ounce from a bone stock car' persuasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the idea of keeping the engine bay "stock looking". I also like the idea of an easy 20hp from the process...I would like to keep the stock look over the SMIM for sleeper effect only....

I'm w/ 381gvr4, I Like keeping a sleeper engine bay..I like the idea of honing a cyclone, and leaving the primaries alone. Seems like it would be costly venture but the results might be cool for a street car. But a hawver cast manifold seems like a good option for the price($550+s/h), here's a dyno comparison to a 1g.

381gvr4

Contacted Darren at FFWD and he said they are still offering the EH service. I'll ask him about a group buy if anyone is interested. I will find out pricing based on # of manifolds being done.

belize1334

I'm still intrigued by the idea of running Cyclone runners w/ a SMIM plenum. Since the butterfly valves are built into the 3rd section of the manifold (that bolts to the head) you could just disassemble it at that point and then build a SM plenum with normal runners that then bolts to the cyclone runners right before the head. You could then have velocity stacks and all that jazz in the plenum and still make use of the butterfly actuated secondaries.

1qkfwd

If they do it see if it will be manifold specific or if they will do a mix of 1g, 2g, evo3, or cyclone. I will send in my evo3 if that's the case

Ralli380Gvr4

I would have to see a price first, might be interested.

381gvr4

Trust me, I'm in the same boat. $250 would be the highest I think I would go. I have seen SMIM, like magnus for about that price range, used on epay..... Who knows, he may not respond to the discount. I'll update when I hear back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts