The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which timing belt?

Lucas03ES

If I am going to be replacing my timing belt on my car, what would be the best route to go, the normal gates (t167), the blue gates (t67rb), or the OEM mitsu timing belt?

I'm not going to be trying to push the limits or anything on this car, just eventually build it to the 400-450 whp range. thanks

prove_it

Get an oem belt or a gates belt for now. By the time you get up to big power you'll need a new belt anyway. NOo sense in spending a lot of money on an overkill belt.

prove_it

T167? I'm not familiar with that.

prove_it

Oh that T167, uh yea that's the gates belt I mentioned earlier. It's the aftermarket OEM replacement belt. It's like the OEM belt only made by gates. Great quality, great fit. You can pick these up at most part stores. Personally I'd run this up to 350hp then switch. I work as a technician and I use only oem or gates belts when working professionally. Never had an issue.

On this note, be sure to replace your auto-tensioner. These are known to fail and it's a safe bet to say your stocker is weak. Also install new pulleys since it's cheaper to do it once than to gamble and replace your valves.

Lucas03ES

Whats a good water pump to get? Tensioner? Pullys?

About the valves, I bought it needing the valves changed cause the guy I bought it from wasn't aware of the tools needed to change a T belt on these cars and put the intake cam on wrong. The car has a 7 bolt swapped into it by the way if it matters.

Lonewolf64

Buy the OEM timing belt kit from JNZ. It includes all the pullies, water pump, and OEM timing belt. Do not skimp on timing components.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts