The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E-Brake light acting up

COBHC

Hey guys my "brake" light in the dash has been acting weird lately and I don't know what would be causing it to do so. A few days ago it would come on when taking left hand curves and go off as soon as the car was heading straight again. Yesterday it would do the same thing except the light would stay on when going straight, until I turned to the right. Once it went straight forward again the light would come back on. Now it stays on all the time, even with the e-brak off, unless I turn to the right. I looked at the little switch by the brake handle to make sure it was intact and the wires weren't cut. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tyler

Check your brake fluid level. If its low it will make the light come on.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Probably time to do your brakes, as the fluid should only drop if the pads are worn.

While you have the wheels off checking things, be sure to check all the flexible hoses, especially the rears. They are getting old and due for replacement if they haven't already been done.

464/2K

+1 for the 'breaker.

COBHC

Ahh, that could likely be the case. I should have thought to check the fluid, oops. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for responding guys.

Tyler

Last edited:

prove_it

You could also have a slow leak out the master cylinder, doesn't HAVE to be low pads. It's the most likely cause, but don't rule out a leak at the master cylinder. Check and make sure you don't have fluid running under master cylinder down the brake booster. If you do you need to fix that asap. Brake fluid will ruin your booster.

steve

Quoting COBHC:
Ahh, that could likely be the case. I should have thought to check the fluid, oops. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for responding guys.

Tyler

Read Toybreaker's post again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

COBHC

Well the fluid is low, haven't had time to pull the rear wheels and check the brakes but I'm guessing that is the case. There is no fluid leakage at the master cylinder.

My next question is about the rear calipers; I hear they require a special tool to push the piston back into the bore...something about it twisting. Why is this necessary?

chucklesas

You don't NEED a special tool. You could just use some big needle nose pliers to twist it with. If you just push the piston back in you'll strip out the adjusting mechanism that is used each time you set the parking brake or something like that.

Barnes

Clockwise - "Righty-Tighty"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned