The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Venting to air!?!?

Is there a way to recirculate your bov to the air without runnin a GM MAS, and experiencing the fuel cut, brick wall thing?!?!
Stupid question probably, but could someone help a bro out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

No there is not, If you dont have a Gmaf with blow through you need to recyle the air.. I'm not sure your fuel cut is caused by that but the car will want to stall out most of the time when you stop too quick.

What would cause that smacking your head off the dash thing? I never really had it stall out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Fuel cut is all in the ECU. Are you running a stock chip? What other mods? You need to get a chip from Keydiver, or some other engine management correction to get rid of fuel cut.

Just so you have an understanding, Fuel cut is a set threshold in the ecu, ie. if X amount of air is reached, don't open injectors. When you throw on a bigger turbo or exhaust/intercooler, you can flow more air through the MAF and that threshold is easier to reach. Keydiver can reprogram your eprom so that either the ECU no longer checks airflow, or the threshold is raised up to allow for more air.

The problem with not venting your BOV with an otherwise stock setup is that the MAF (which is reading the amount of air going to the engine) is before the BOV. This means that when you let off the gas, and the BOV vents to the atmosphere, the ecu is adding the correct amount of fuel that it thinks it needs to based on the amount of air coming through the MAF. If your air metering device is AFTER the BOV, any vented air isn't already compensated for.

Hope that makes sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

Stock chip/ecu!! .020 over pistons/ stock compression ratio( long story), rc550's, injen 2g intake with 2g maf, aem rail, ported 2g exhaust man. and O2, 14b! Nothing crazy,...... yet!! Still figuring out this palm logger!!

Not sure what I need to do to get this setup right! I been having to put my stock intake and maf back on to get it to run right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

jepherz

Staff member
A chip from keydiver will make up for the fact that you have aftermarket injectors and a different maf.

jepherz

Staff member
You can just buy one. I'm not saying it will fix your problem though. In any case, seems like you need an Eprom, and to find a way to recirc your BOV.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 550cc and 2g maf are suppose to cancel out each others differences (i.e. the 2g maf will show ~20% less air, but 550s flow ~20% more fuel for given dwell giving you the right mix, but with more headroom) so that you don't 'need' a new chip. Seems strange that its running fine with the 1g maf and 550s too. Should be flooding it.

What base fuel pressure are you running? What boost levels are you at when the fuel cuts kicking in?

Thats what I thought, thats why I bought the 550's instead of an safc2!! Im runnin around 12, nothing drastic! It doesn't do that if it's recirculated!?! Or if I put the original stuff back on! Just when I'm venting to the air! I took the 550's out when I switched back on the intake/maf! Is there no way to vent to the air with my set up!? Stock fuel pressure by the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

SleepinGVR4

There is NO WAY to vent with your set up. You have to recirculate with a MAF. The MAF is calucating for air thats not there when you don't recirculate.

Pretty much!! Now I need to buy a new BOV and go back to the ol' recirculation!! Any body got one besides a turbo xs!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Go stock 1G. Most reliable setup around for the money and plenty of overhead for more power.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned