The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MORE PROBLEMS

Ok so I ahe the timing belt, BS belt, waterpump and the cam and crank seasl replaced to clean up an oil leak.. So I pick the car up drive it home 35 minutes or so pull in the driveway and BAM, I hear a clunk and a grind( Like starting the car with it already running). Then it will not start just cranks catches then stalls. I finally got it to start and it sounded horriable, the exhaust note was like a Suby with cams.. Well I think I may be done with her I have 3k into this I still have not driving the car for mare than a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif.

NateCrisman

yeah, sounds like a Tbelt that jumped time. Tow that car right back to the shop that did the Tbelt. don't start it or try and run it anymore, but likely the damage is already done (bent valves..hence the running on 2 cyl if it all). Sorry & good luck.

Like the timing belt jumped and bent some valves. You need to get it on stands and roll it over by hand and see if all the timing marks line up. Just check the vfaq on timing belt info. Just dont take anything else apart until you confirm the marks. Best of luck.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting mac515:
Then it will not start just cranks catches then stalls. I finally got it to start and it sounded horriable, the exhaust note was like a Suby with cams.. Well I think I may be done with her I have 3k into this I still have not driving the car for mare than a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif.

Why did you want to start it up after the noise without checking to see what might be wrong first? Most likely timing jumped and you cranking it and running the engine probably made it worse.

1990ggsxnj

As was stated previously, it's not the car if you had the belt job done. It's the person who did the job. Did they replace the tensioner? If it was weak to begin with and/or was pressed in (or pressed in/released too quickly) than that could have contributed. If the car started than the belt didn't snap so it's not like it was too much tension when they adjusted the pulley (IF they adjusted the pulley). Either way, if it was done by someone else they f***ed up and need to replace the engine for you.

I had some intercooler work done also and thought it may have been a pipe that popped off. I know I only tired three times to get it to run but thats three to many..

I will be calling them in a bit. They wanted me to have to towed to them AAA. But I only have one free tow left this year an I'm not wasting it on someone else's mistake. I have not clue if they replaced the tensionr or not. Something that should be swapped either way.

Polish

You're learning why everyone here works on their own cars. These are really not the type of cars you pay others to fix/mod in my opinion.

I hear yea. But a FN time belt and water pump job. It's not like I was doing a engine swap.. At least not till now. :/

Well just got off the phone with them and they are supposed to be sending a tow truck to pick it at my house on Thursday. Well see how this goes.. I may have to put a stop payment on my the check I wrote them.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

I hope things go well for you!!! I had this happen to me where I work, with an eagle talon. It came in for a timing belt and the jist of it was we did not replace the tensioner which was broken internally and it bent the valves in the head and punctured a cylinder. In the end we had to pay to have the head fixed because the valve beat the head so bad you could not distinguish where the spark plug was from the rest of the metal around it, and we also pulled the motor and had the bottom end rebuilt as well. So it was a very expensave lesson for us. I hope they don't have to do that but I would ask that after they pull the head to inspect the motor for damage.

Did you ever get your shifting problem fixed? I never heard anything back from you.

Hey boostn, NO I did not it's been one thing after another. I was going turn the adjustment and got doing other things..(House). I only drive the car twice a week or so. But I had only driving it 2 times since the tranny went in. Now this!!!! I was going to inspect everything this past weekend but now I'm selling her. Way to many problems.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I knew it would need some work and it was going to be a project but this is nuts. I have had the car three months and driving a handfull of times.. So for 3k in mods and work I get a car that is still sitting in my driveway.. The place will fix the engine and then I will part my ways with her.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1990ggsxnj

If you're getting a new engine out of the deal (since they need to replace bearings once they comeout to change the pistons that were all banged up) than why are you being so hard on the situation? You're way ahead of the game if you play your cards right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know but they have not committed to a NEW enigine yet, You and I both know they are going to push for a used job that says ONLY 60k but reallt has like 130k. I would love to keep her but that may not be the case. I will no more Friday. But most of me still wants to part our ways. I'm not being to hard but I am being hard..

1990ggsxnj

They CAN'T push for that since they have no idea how the "used" engine was treated. If you MAKE their only option to replace the parts in YOUR engine (Queue the Better Business Bureau), than that's all they CAN do. If you let them have that as an option than they have room to talk. Come up with 10 good reasons NOT to take the used engine and they won't have an argument comparable.

Hertz

Staff member
Thanks for driving the value of our cars down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Come on man has nothing to do with the car itself, Just the idiots that say they are mechanics when some of us do not have time to work on the car ourselves.. I still think the value of the car is still high, But you need to find one that someone took care off not beat on. I tried fixing this and other stuff keeps happening..

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts