The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump opinions

cspetros

It has come time to replace the water pump on one of my Galants. The pump has started pooping water out of the weep hole.

I found a replacement water pump on PartsDinosaur.com: Replacement Water Pump. The cost of this pump is only $40.

I priced a stock water pump at the dealer for $122 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif.

My question: In your opinion, which pump should I go with, and why? $40 or $122? Is there some sort of hidden reliability issue here?

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

I used the $40 dollar pump and it popped prematurely at 40k. I'll never get a non OEM water pump again. Take that however you want to.

SmoothCustomer

I ended up being forced to go with a cheap-o and I've been scared ever since I first turned the key.

Edit: Pretty sure those oem ones aren't even mitsu, but it is definitely what you want.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

How long have you had it? I'm thinking about going pd water pump for my rebuild

dsmless

i used a autozone one with no problems for about ayea of long driving, but used a mitsu t-belt, some tings you cant beat oem

Brunoboy

I have a gates timing belt in the garage my friend put on his car then took it off. still good he says, uhm your right about some things just need to be OEM like a headgasket, cant cheap out there lo.
-shane

Polish

I'm broke and felt like being risky, I ordered the $24 Rock Auto pump. We'll see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

cspetros

Quoting Polish:
I'm broke and felt like being risky, I ordered the $24 Rock Auto pump. We'll see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

If Polish has the balls to try one, then so do I. We'll give you a report.

Polish

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Lol I didn't even know they came that cheap.

Me either, but for the cost of an oil change I'll give it a shot.

Quoting cspetros:

If Polish has the balls to try one, then so do I. We'll give you a report.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My report will be a while - car will be JSB for another few months at least.

Last edited:

thecman02

Hm. I have this decision coming up too because my engine build is almost done. Saving a Benjamin up front is mighty tempting, but having to replace the damn thing withing a month or two of installing would piss me off badly. I guess it just comes down to luck. I would think you have a better chance of not getting effed with oem pump as opposed to cheap, but you never know.

jepherz

Staff member
I usually go with the premium version of a pump at NAPA or the likes. I had an OEM pump go at 80k, and never had a knock off go before 60k, so I just replace them when I do the timing belt. A lot of OEM parts can be had reboxed outside of the dealership for much cheaper.

Barnes

Quoting Polish:

Polish spec water pump re-install to follow after 10k miles.

G

Staff member

cspetros

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
That's not what the inside of any proper water pump I have seen looks like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Yeah, the stock AISIN pump has a turbine looking thing with blades. The pump in that link doesn't.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts