The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who can tell me the size.......

Diego

so while removing the f'd xcase i happened to look up and well OMFG im missing a bolt.... now what bolt you ask yourselves, well it is on the driver halfshaft... right behind the oilpan.... pn was 586.... 2 drilled holes.. but only one is used and it sinks into the pan im assuming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.. "maybe thats my oil leak problem as it has oil in the hole" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif but no to the smart-asses out there it is not my drain plug..... ive never removed this said bolt so i dont know the size... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif anyhelp? TIA

fivestardsm

there should be 3 holes in that general location. 1 is the "plug" bolt for doing the balance shaft, and the other 2 are to hold the axle carrier.

You can seein the picture here the 2 bolts holes for the axle, and the other bolt hole for the balance shaft alignment in the upper right of the pic directly above the "3".. Are you asking about one of these?

Last edited:

Diego

it is this hole right here.... so its a carrier bearing you say? what size is that bolt... i mean its like an "L" shaped bracket on the intermediate shaft...
img.php

TylerAdamson

the thread is a m10 X 1.25, as for length, I don't know.

Terry Posten

That is an important bolt also.

The bolt is approx 1.5" long.

Don't now exactly but I would go to the hardware store and buy a 8.8 rated bolt that is m10 x 1.25 x 40mm and hope that the threads are not stripped out.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Those bolts are special "full size shaft" bolts like are used on the driveshaft and rear axle flanges. That is so there is no slop in the hole. I would get the correct ones as soon as you can.

89Mirageman

My guess is that the previous owner snapped that bolt off in the engine block. I would stick a small drill bit or something in there first to see if the old bolt is still in there.

If you are lucky and there is no bolt in there and the threads are good just pull the other bolt out and take it with you to a fastener store to have them match it up. Or see if anyone has an oem one laying around.

Last edited:

Diego

Thank you all i have this picture here i just snapped with my phone... i know its bad but o well... im not driving it right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.... but

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

and there is not a bolt in the said hole... so i just need a size and a good place to get it..... Mitsu here is a killer in pricing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif... and well im not going that route...

fivestardsm

The bolt is a 10 X 41.5, and the part # is MB297860, and the Lock Washer Part# is MF450406.

The biggest deal about these bolts is that People take off the A/C bracket and try to bolt the axle on with out it and it ends up snapping. If you do not have the the bracket on, then you will need the spacer, which is Part# MB297732. You could just shim it with washers if you dont want to buy the spacer, but the spacer is nice and Only cost around $2. I bought 3 or 4 of them a couple years ago just because I have seen quite a few motors that have had the bolt snapped because of this problem.

Diego

and that is gettin it through the dealer? but i can take that measurement and find it at a bomgars or homedepot right? sorry i just wanted to replace my t case and now its more problems but might as well fix that now.... oh and does someone recall our tcase has 6 bolts right... im only finding 5 big ones but i was sure it was 6 bolts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.. then take the c-clips out and drops right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Terry Posten

What are you talking about "C" clips?

If your talking about the t-case. Undo all the bolts and just slide it off the tranny pins and input shaft. Drop it down to the ground with the driveshaft still attached so you don't dump all the fluid out.

The t-case has 2 different length bolts. 2 short and 3 long.

chucklesas

5 Bolts in the Transfer Case. If you're just going to get a bolt from the hardware store and NOT Mitsu, then you should get a M10x1.25 50mm long and a 10mm split lock washer and a 10mm flat washer.

Terry Posten

Another that shows torque.

Diego

Quoting Terry Posten:
What are you talking about "C" clips?

the c clips that hold onto the driveshaft yolk/knuckle... well i call em C clips.
all 5 bolts are out...do i need to remove my driver cv shaft... i didnt think i had to... shouldnt it just come out with the 5 bolts or is there something im missing that im not seeing... im sorry for sounding like a dumbshit but, im just lost at this point and trying to finish it up and making it count.

Last edited:

chucklesas

Pry bar or really big screwdriver will help work it out. It's going to be tight if it hasn't been out in a while.

Terry Posten

Yes, just remove all 5 bolts and then use a pry bar to work it off. You don't need to take the drive shaft apart unless you are repairing something that requires it.

Once the t-case is loose from the tranny pins and input shaft, pull the t-case to the front of the car while lowering and the drive shaft just slides out.

Super simple.

Terry Posten

And no, you do not need to remove your drivers side half shaft.

Diego

Thanks Charles.

ill just get back to you all on this removal job... basically just double checking myself.....

fivestardsm

Quoting Diego:
and that is gettin it through the dealer? but i can take that measurement and find it at a bomgars or homedepot right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ok, the bolt that you are missing is either an 8-hard or 10-hard, I belive its ten.
Anyway as for the quick bolt at the local serve-u-all store, personaly I think is a bad idea. If you put an inferior bolt in there that was not designed for it, you are asking for problems. I am not saying that it wouldn't work, but MMC didn't go to "home-depot" for thier bolts.

When these bolts break or fall out, the first problem that comes up is a hole through your oil pan.>TRUST ME< In any case, these 2 bolts that hold the axle on are the only 2 on the entire car. What I mean by that is that there are alot of bolts that hold one of these cars together and you can find bolts from the back that would work in the front or bolts that are in the interior that would work under the hood. Obviously these werent crucial enough to have a specifically designed bolt just for the application.

Hopefully you understand the rambling. In short, try to find stock replacements and not Home depot crap.

fivestardsm

Also, this is what I was refering to as when the "inferior" bolts break or fall out. The bolt in the picture that I am showing how to remove is an aftermarket Bolt (homedepot, lowes, cornerhardware store, ect...)

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned