The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which one of my issues should I iron out first?

VR_IV_MR

OK well I am definitely having fuel issues. I am running an EVO9 fuel pump w/ stock injectors. My injectors are hitting 90% duty at only 10psi. I don't have an AFPR and I don't know if the pump is rewired (how can i tell?) I am also getting DTC 0042: Fuel Pump Circuit Malfunction. So right here I am possibly looking at an AFPR setup, injectors, and a pump rewire.

I am getting 140* intake temps and I figure a 3G mas upgrade would be appropriate especially since I like the idea of replacing these 20yr old sensors...

I also would like to get a catch can setup.

I sometimes get 100% throttle position while at Idle, and then sometimes 1-2%, and sometimes 0% (without ever adjusting it, it will vary on its own) i am getting DTC 0014 as well, which is throttle position circuit malfunction.

hopefully today if it stops raining I'll be able to wire up my lc-1 and at least I'll fix my non-cycling front O2

the thing is I don't have money to do all of this. I have a max of about $400 I am willing to spend and I have a little -8an russell proclassic hose left over from my
external oil cooler install. so I was figuring my best bet would be doing a 3g mas & afpr

but I'd really like to get the friggen TPS working, a local shop told me the sensor checked out okay but ecmlink disagrees.

Fix the fuel situation first. Bad fuel delivery = bad engine. Then start messin around with the tps.

It should be pretty simple to tell if the fuel pump has been rewired. Most people when doing it run a thicker gauge wire.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmoothCustomer

To check for a fuel pump rewire lift up the carpet in the trunk. See that metal plate? Good! Now, unscrew it pull it up and see if there is a non stock looking wire in there. I.E. Thicker or different color.

Is there a chance that he possibly has a boost leak which causes the injectors to see 90% IDC? Have you tried doing a boost leak test yet?

It is VERY strange to get a CEL 42. Are you sure your ECU is the right (USDM) one? The ECU checks for +12 volts coming back from the fuelpump/MPI relay, to make sure it is working. If the car is running, that means the fuelpump must be working, so pin #13 should have 12 volts on it. With all those errors, I'm beginning to wonder if you might have some acid damage in the ECU. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

VR_IV_MR

Well the fuel pump code doesn't bother me much since I bought the car with that code.

What really bothers me is the TPS because I assume 100%TPS would lock me in open loop, especially also since my o2 is cycling between .02 and .6. So getting these two fixed was kind of first on my priority since I've driven the car fine with the FP code and the last owner said he had it ever since he installed the pump.

Today I was going to install the wideband but I am spending the next few hours learning about speed density. I figure since I am getting a little high IAT's, and since I don't trust/ want the tacky boost gauge on my dash, I should invest in the MAP sensor and IAT sensor, as I prepare to set up SD. Feel free to save me some time and tell me which MAP is preferred.

I have some pics here of the ECU i dont know if you can tell if its the right one or not. If you need the numbers on it I'll go get them in a little bit. PS these are old pics with the old DSMLink on it and before I sent it to ECMTuning for testing. From the email Tom sent me, "We tested your ECU and found zero problems. The caps had already been replaced and looked good. We did replace one (free of charge) simply because the replacement part that had been used previously was not exactly the right specification."

VR_IV_MR

hmmmmm....

is my turbo timer supposed to be grounded to the ECU ground?

do you think the tps is whacked out because the throttle body isn't ground? im going outside now to ground it and see if theres a change.

whats the "speed pulse" for our cars? i have to set a custom one while cruising at 40mph but for some reason after i set it there seems to be a difference (~10%) while at higher speeds (dash says 60mph, defi display says 65mph)

Last edited by a moderator:

The TPS has its own ground supplied on one of the wires coming from the ECU, pin #24.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned