The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's the best spooling turbo for my VR4... HP goal 400

I have 92 VR4 with a TD05H 16G. Since the first day with the BIG 16G it has always been laggy to spool (15psi at 4,800 RPM.) I figure there are some other minor issues to work out. maybe vac, boost or exaust leak. But, I'm Looking to replace this turbo, I've been looking at a T04E and thinking about buying it soon. It's a 50 A/R Compressor, .63A/R Turbine T04E. I'm not good enough at reading flow maps to really understand them. And I can't make an informed decision yet.

Here's what I want: ABSOLUTE MAX boost of 25-27psi. I would most likely run 17-18 most of the time, but I want room to go a bit higher. I also want fast spooling, so I have been looking for turbos with a larger turbine than compressor. But, I really don't know where to go from here. I think my ultimate HP goal is somewhere around 400HP
ANY IDEAS?????????

Thanks,
Matt

for 400hp eaither a 20g or a fp green would be a good turbo. if your getting full spool at 4800 on a 16g there is something wrong. if i were you i'd check for boost leaks first then go from there. My 35r spools around the time your 16g does!

Aren't you going to have to track down the problem anyway? New Turbo or old? It seems like it would be easiest to track it down on the old turbo.

Wow I just went into this on here a week or so ago. I wound up getting a E316G( FP sale price 499), with FP manifold an E3 O2 housing an APR's. IF you are only going to be boosting 18 or so PSI and at the track looking to turni it up tp 27 PSI the go the way I did you can make 400whp on a E316g and E85 and 27-28 psi with supporting mods and tune. I'm going to be running 24 PSI daily on DSM link and think it will be a pretty fun car.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

91GSR

also you have to realize that bigger turbos incorporate more lag. a 20g will not be a "fast spooling turbo" that you want. though it will push an assload of psi. you just have to have good enough supporting mods to get the revs required to get that psi

Ian M

Quote:
a 20g will not be a "fast spooling turbo"

I don't know about that. I have a true old school tdo5 20g,and by the ass dyno it spools just at fast as the 14b I took off,and it's even clipped 10 degrees. Just hits harder. I kinda wish I had went for the more aggressive buscher style clip way back when I bought it. Trapped 114mph on pump with little to no tuning in my 3550lb boat so it's no rocket but it pulls fairly well. No doubt there's more in it.

It's probably not the best bang for the buck anymore,so I'm not necessarily reccomending it as a BEST all around choice for a "400hp" goal (even though in in the right hands it's capable),but it's a fun turbo.

Last edited:

91GSR

u took the comment out of context...the rest of the comment is "that you are looking for" yes it can be a quick spooling turbo, but for what this guy is after (if i understand everything right) a 20g will not be what he wants.

Quoting mac515:
Wow I just went into this on here a week or so ago. I wound up getting a E316G( FP sale price 499), with FP manifold an E3 O2 housing an APR's. IF you are only going to be boosting 18 or so PSI and at the track looking to turni it up tp 27 PSI the go the way I did you can make 400whp on a E316g and E85 and 27-28 psi with supporting mods and tune. I'm going to be running 24 PSI daily on DSM link and think it will be a pretty fun can.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Typo, I am sure, but can is a good way to describe the GVR4

throughfaith323

this

click

EASILY make 400 with supporting mods. Spool is not bad at all. I just want to sell it at this point in my life. down the road i will be upgrading EVERYHTING, but thats not for another 5 years or so.

car+ wrong finger = can.. LOL definit typo thanx.. LOL

Quoting ihatefall:
Quoting mac515:
Wow I just went into this on here a week or so ago. I wound up getting a E316G( FP sale price 499), with FP manifold an E3 O2 housing an APR's. IF you are only going to be boosting 18 or so PSI and at the track looking to turni it up tp 27 PSI the go the way I did you can make 400whp on a E316g and E85 and 27-28 psi with supporting mods and tune. I'm going to be running 24 PSI daily on DSM link and think it will be a pretty fun can.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Typo, I am sure, but can is a good way to describe the GVR4

onesickcrx

I think the 18g is your best choice spool of a 16g and more top end

iLLeffeKt vr-4

18g is not bad but not too many people out there run them. I had on for a while and I was happy with it but the Green was a lot better. I know a lot of people knock on the green because of its "old school technology" but I though it was a great street turbo. Going from a 16g to an 18g is not a huge difference either like going from a 14b to an 18g so why bother?

prove_it

Your 16g spools that late huh? maybe it's not the turbo. how is the manifold? does it leak by the head, or is it cracked? manifold studs that break cause problems. poor flowing exhaust cause problems. boost leaks, low compression, list goes on. maybe it's not the turbos fault.

Quoting 9t1tsi:
for 400hp eaither a 20g or a fp green would be a good turbo. if your getting full spool at 4800 on a 16g there is something wrong. if i were you i'd check for boost leaks first then go from there. My 35r spools around the time your 16g does!

Oh, Yeah... I'm definately going to track down ALL the problems before I spend money on a new turbo and other goodies. I have goals for where I want to be, but first, I have to get all facets of my car ready for big power. I'm planning on doing a vac/boost check for leaks, checking the turbine housing for oil leak, exaust manifold for coking, and checking the O2 sensor. Are there any other suggestions of things that could help???

My whole goal in this is to get everything that's wrong fixed and find the "best" turbo for my needs.

Every little bit helps...
Thanks,

Matt

rlturbo35

I recomended strongly a turbonetics 60-1 with a 62 trim turbine wheel , .63 turbine housing , easy makes 400 hp !!!!! ceramic ball bearing and big shaft , thanks Rolo fron www.tunedbycft.com

Armitage

Wow that's really bad for a 16g. Have you got supporting mods already done (intake, larger i/c and piping, turbo back exhaust, etc.) and proper fuel tuning? Compression tested your motor lately?

thecman02

You haven't posted what kind of fuel you want to achieve your goals at but as someone else said a e16g or fp18sl2 would be excellent candidates if your using e85. Full spool around 3500 when setup well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts