The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Proud new owner!

Whoodoo

Hey everybody. Just thought i would throw up an intro thread. I just picked up #62 and am very excited to be a member of the community. I bought the car as a replacement for my 1988 camaro that i totalled. Because of this, I find it hard not to make comparisons between the two even though they are two very different cars.

So far I've driven about 50 miles and how do i put this.... um it takes corners like mad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif +1 for the V. What were you guys driving before or are you driving in a dittion to your gvr4's and how do they compare?

-Alan

Nabeel

Congratulation for the new ride. My advice is not to compare with Camaro. VR4 is different world.

Hey man welcome, The VR4 is a completly new world is right. You can not compareat all. My pevious car(s) were all DSM's an my second car is a 08 G35X-S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I was actually driving a 2007 trailblaser ss with an all aluminum LS2 395hp AWD. I haven't even got my VR4 on the road yet and I can tell you just from being a previous dsm owner, I am going to enjoy it much more.

Whoodoo

after about 100 miles i can agree with you. It is very(!) different. its not stupid fast (mine's all stock), but it sure is a quick little get around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

conquesttsi

91 Eclipse GSX. Which is lighter, and more nimble than the vr4.....for now. I just got my vr4 in Feb. of this year and I've been gathering parts to turn it into a beast. I just started finally Moding it this weekend, I wanted to get all the parts and do it at once. I drive a 92 Honda Civic daily and that is a ton slower, laugh if you want(it is quite a pathetic car) but gas milage is awesome, it takes 87 octane, and I paid $700 for it.

Last edited:

DR1665

Congrats on the new additions, fellas. These are great cars and anyone who says otherwise either didn't take care of theirs or over-estimated their mechanical abilities prior to purchasing.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. GVR4 is NOT a DSM, so don't call it one.
2. These are special cars generally owned by intelligent cats, so please step up your game on the spelling and grammar. This thread is full of fail in the 8th grade writing department.

Last edited:

Quoting DR1665:
2. These are special cars generally owned by intelligent cats, so please step up your game on the spelling and grammar. This thread is full of fail in the 8th grade writing department.

Maybe he was not raised in usa? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark LaVallee

Quoting DR1665:
Congrats on the new additions, fellas. These are great cars and anyone who says otherwise either didn't take care of theirs or over-estimated their mechanical abilities prior to purchasing.

A couple things to keep in mind:

1. GVR4 is NOT a DSM, so don't call it one.

Quoted for truth.

turbowop

Spelling and grammar aren't nearly as bad in this thread as they have been in others. At least I can read this thread thanks to paragraphs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Armitage

Congrats on the new car! I'm surprised you can still find an all-original one left these days. It's almost a shame to say this but once you start modifying the suspension and power you're going to be blown away by how much better it will be. In stock form the handling can only be described as "soft" ;P

Whoodoo

First, please allow me to apologize for the lack of effort in the English department.

My buddy has a saab 9-3 that he's only done minor modifications to. That thing goes like stink, so I would imagine that with only a minimum of effort this car would become quite the wolf in sheep's clothing. As for the suspension being 'soft', its nowhere near the wallowy boat of a car the camaro was. Compared to that crude, albeit very fun, car the VR4 is almost harsh!

So far, I've concluded that the V does exactly what it was intended to. Its comfortable, quick, and very practical. In other words, I love it!

cspetros

^^Wow. That last post reads nicely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Congrats on the car, and welcome to the board.

raptorWagon

Welcome, searching and reading till your eyes bleed on here will get you pretty far in understanding these cars.

Welcome!

My first car was an '87 LTD Crown Victoria, so I know ALL about driving boats. In fact, I'm buying a '68 Oldsmobile as soon as I have the cash together, but the VR-4 is definitely sticking around as my winter car. I figure why not have two cars, one for summer, one for winter, and the other can be torn down and worked on in its off season (or when the other breaks down).

VR-4 is a great car, and there are a lot of good guys (and some gals) that are here to help! They've been invaluable to me in keeping #179/2000 running happy.

boostingwild

the vr4 experience is like no other. you cry more than you smile, and you often think about driving it into a wall. With that said, it is a really nice car when it does make you smile. It's the price we pay for knowledge, and knowledge you shall have. Take good care of her, and she will take good care of you. The more mods you do, the more headaches you will have.

p.s. i suck at life

boostingwild

oh and i previously drove

VW scirocco
IMG_9259.jpg

Mitsu Starion
parts002.jpg

RX 7
parts011.jpg

Formula
IMG_9312.jpg

Nova
1975nova.jpg

Whoodoo

Gotta love those third gens... My V has been very well taken care of as far as i can tell. With 133k on the clock, it not only drives wonderfully, but looks like its only a few years old as well.

Enough of the reminiscing and on to a question, or rather a bit of a poll.

As it now sits in the driveway, freshly shined and everything, it is bone stock. As previously mentioned, gaining knowledge is quite easy as long as you have some eye drops handy and dont have to be up for work in the morning. In my wanderings through the forum, it seems to me that there are quite a few easy upgrades one can do and I'm very sure that for around a grand I could easily bump my power output to around 300hp. However, there may be something to be said for having a stock VR4 in such great shape.

So, what do you all think? Upgrade, or maintain an already beautiful example?

Last edited:

with all of those cool cars, what corralled you into the decision of getting a GVR4? was it the cool square shape? was it the amount of girls that you can stuff (unwilling of course) into a 4 door sedan that has the curb appeal of a 5 dollar hooker? do you keep handy a pen and note pad in an epic quest to know every ricer and or slow car comment?

i feel like i can keep going, but for the sake of welcoming a new member....!

welcome, your doomed to love a car that will only show marginal love (if any) to your driveway. you may not love it now, but there is a allure to these beasts that most men cannot ignore once they waft the sweet scent of its burning oil(could be from the turbo, could be off the manifold. its always somewhere new)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned