The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

failed smog... update... PASS

ok so today during my lunch break i decided to take my car in for a smog check. you can already tell by the title that my car failed. Although it passed the emissions portion which is probably the most important part.

Why fail?
1. Modified PCV Valve
- stupid move on my part. i forgot about the breather which fails visually.
2. Check Engine Light
- for some reason came on while holding RPM's @ 2500 for 30secs.

okay so for the PCV valve im just going to have to run a line to the throttle body. Will this affect my idle? As for the CEL im not sure what to do. Since purchasing the car the CEL never came on. The previous owner didnt have any problems with the CEL either. Here's the weird part. After leaving the smog place I tried holding the RPM's at 2500 for 30secs and the CEL never came on. About 30mins later i did the same thing and the CEL comes on. After driving about 15mins it goes off. When i get home i try it again and nothing. The CEL doesnt come on that time... wtf!? So what do you guys reccomend? Oh and how do i pull codes for the CEL?

Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:

wow... cant believe this... so i drove my truck to the grocery earlier and the CEL went on... haha wtf... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

help...

thanks ill give it a try...

also ive found that while holding the RPM up around 2500 my car is misfiring. quite possibly may be whats causing the CEL

I thought of that right away. Random miss fire code? If so check the plugs and wire.. Hope its not the coil pack or igniter.

1990ggsxnj

Does OBD1 check for Misfires? I thought that was only thereafter.

Our 1G ECU's do check to make sure there is spark. It looks for the inductive kickback from the coilpack, to verify that it fired. That is what the ECU "TACH" signal is for. If the coilpack, transistor, ECU, or wiring between them has an issue, and one coil isn't firing, you will get a CEL Code 44.

the guy doing your smog screwed up on the check engine light part. For obd 1 vehicles it is not a failure if the CEL comes on during the test, they are only supposed to check to see if it comes on when you turn the key on and goes off after the engine is started.

if it were me i would turn his ass into bar, let them run some undercovers on him

ApexHunter

This was the most up to date manual for fall 08 semester, when i took the class. Not sure if it has been revised since then. I don't think this area would have been changed though.

well... she PASSED!!!

had her smogged at a different spot and they too agree'd that the previous place i had her smogged should not have failed me for the cel. besides the breather...

JNR

Yeah, I think they're supposed to technically fail you if your check engine light comes on during the test; I know mine did. Ended up getting it done somewhere else, but now I have to go to Test Only centers, it seems. Don't know if it's related, but what a PITA.

I never figured out (or looked into) why mine went on, but I'll be sure to do that in my driveway beforehand this time. Gonna be hard enoguh to pass the visual without the oem airbox and not looking 100% stock (mostly the piping). Everything is hooked up and functioning though and dammit, I know I'll find somewhere that'll do it. Damn communists, lol.

i forgot to mention that im currently on a loaner ECU. i pulled my last one and found that the caps had leaked and acid got on the IC110 board which i believe controls the idle per Terry Posten.

during the 2nd smog test the CEL never came on.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts