The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

High IAT Intake Air Temp question/problem

VR_IV_MR

My intake temps are reading in ECMlink at 140* is this normal? Everywhere i read says somehting about between 34 and 84* but mine is at 140*...

perhaps the 140 is F and the 34 to 84 is C?

perhaps my iat sensor is bad? i cant find the damn page that tells me how to test the resistance or whatever needs to be tested in the IAT sensor i just had it

steve

If you have an open exposed filter under the hood and it isn't shielded from the high underhood temps, that may be an accurate reading of your intake temps.

toybreaker

iconoclast
One easy test to verify the accuracy of the iat is to compare it to the ect, after an overnight cold soak.

The coolant and air temps should be very close the next morning.

Last edited:

VR_IV_MR

so you both are implying that the tuning guide says 34* < x < 84* is in fahrenheit

i just realized when i switch ECMLink to celcius i am under 60* which is in the 34

turbowop

You must be reading in celcius. It has to be a really hot day, stopped in bumper to bumper traffic for me to see intake temps that high. When cruising down the freeway I usually see temps just a couple degrees above ambient.

As someone else said, just check it first thing in the morning, while the engine is cold. The IAT and coolant temps should be very close to each other, ambient temperature.
A high IAT reading is often caused by an oil-fouled sensor in the MAS. If you look inside the MAS, you will see a diode sticking up, pinkish-colored if I recall. Just spray it down with some carb cleaner. Its been too long since I've seen a stock GVR-4 MAS, so I hope I'm right. I know the 2G and 3G MAS have the diode sticking up.
A false high IAT reading shouldn't cause knock. In fact, it should have the opposite affect, as the ECU pulls timing if the IAT gets too high.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned