The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got #642/2000

Hey there. I just bought #642/2000 about a month ago. It didn't/doesn't (I'll explain) when I got it due to the previous owner so kindly wiping out the SAFC settings and hacking a few other things that the guy before him had done.
Anyways, heres a rundown of the known mods: Walboro 255, 550cc injectors, AFPR ( no bung for rail though), manual boost controller, Blitz BOV (replacing as this one vents to atmosphere), Apexi SAFC-II, autometer boost and A/F gauges, small 16G, FMIC (redueing), ported 2G elbow, ported intake manifold, port and polished heads, 4 angle valve job, ?stock? cams, exhaust manifold (unknown brand) w/ wrap, full turbo back exhaust, 2G trans case w/ brass syncros, Exedy clutch, and Volvo S40 radiator (also replacing). Probably missed a few things, but those are the biggies.
Anyways, when I got it, it wouldn't turn over. After some troubleshooting of the fuel system, I got it running, but not well. Started screwing with the AFC and once I finally got it to where it would almost idle... the radiator blew. The S40 was a crossflow and the way that he had the hose run, put to much tension on the inlet neck and it snapped spraying coolent everywhere.
Anways, I now have a reason to throw some mods at it so here's the plans: Griffin Scirrocco radiator (seems like a perfect fit), 2G MAF, new intercooler piping (current ones a hack job), EVO intercooler, new BOV (?HKS/Greddy?) new shifter bushings (at trans end and in shifter. Making them myself), relocate battery to trunk (once was then undone), and then drive it. Should be on the road at the end of the month if things go smoothly. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Lonewolf64

Sounds like you've got the right idea. For the BOV, I would go with a 1g unit with the Dejon tool leak stop mod. It will not leak boost, and you don't have to worry about running rich on vent since it recirculates.

Also, do yourself a favor if you are planning on staying with an SAFC and pick up a chip from Jeff (aka Keydiver on the site). You can find his website here: click

No exaggerating, this is one of the best mods I have ever done to my car.

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard a lot about the 1G BOV with the fix, but wasn't really sure about going with it. As for the chip, I'm thinking about it for the future, but am focusing on getting it running for the moment. A chipped ECU was one of the sketchy details of things that may have been done to the car, but not confirmed yet. Based off of what you've said, I hope it is chipped.

Congrats on the pick up. .Sounds like quite a little project you have there.. Just like mine.. LOL

Lonewolf64

Quoting blue642:
Thanks for the heads up. I've heard a lot about the 1G BOV with the fix, but wasn't really sure about going with it. As for the chip, I'm thinking about it for the future, but am focusing on getting it running for the moment. A chipped ECU was one of the sketchy details of things that may have been done to the car, but not confirmed yet. Based off of what you've said, I hope it is chipped.

I've been running the Dejon tool modded 1g BOV and it holds 23psi on the Evo 3 16g just fine. Boost leak tests I've taken it to near 30psi and it has not leaked yet.

As for the Chip, I recommend pulling the ECU regardless. If the caps are original, then you will have an ECU failure from acid corrosion soon in the future. In fact, this may be one of the reasons the car is not currently running. Thankfully, several board members offer the service of restoring ECUs including Keydiver and Terry Posten. In fact, Terry has a Sticky in the "For Sale" section.

Thanks. I had never even heard of one till I saw this one on craigslist actually, lol. Always wanted a GSX or talon though, so it fit the shoes. Anyways, as promised here's the pics as it sits now. Front bumpers is off it at the moment.

Engine bay looks pretty bad. Not really fond of the fact that he shaved the manifold and valve covers, but i'll see what I can do.

Hertz

Staff member
Guess you don't have to worry about losing the doglegs since they're all molded together with the side skirts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Overall, the body kit isn't hideous, but certainly makes the stock wheels (and is that overspray?) stand out in a bad way.

Rausch

Quoting blue642:

I've actually had my hands in this car once. The guy you bought it from spend a good amount of time trying to sort through a TON of SERIOUSLY HACKED stuff. I have not seen/heard anything for awhile, but when I was out (last year sometime) the car was not running, fuel system was seriously jacked up (RTV all over the place), tons of wiring issues, etc...

We were able to get the vehicle to start and run reasonably well during the time I was out, but I can tell you that even if he spent 200 hours in that car, it'd have a long way to go.

Honestly I could not tell you what all I noticed was in the car, as we really spent most of the time trying to sort a slow crank, and a horrid/non-existent idle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

You must be one of the DSM and EVO guys that Dan was telling me was helping him sort through issues. We'll have to get together some time so you can see it progress.
I had it running for like a day after I hard wired the fuel pump, switch out the plugs, and toyed with a lot of other things. I couldn't get it to idle either, which I'm hoping is an intake leak. It also stalled as soon as the clutch went in, which I hope was the BOV. Also wouldn't go into 2nd. The linkage was bound and set wrong so I'm hoping thats all it is, though I'm changing the fluid too. If not Shepards 10 minutes from my house, though I'd rather not incur that cost at this moment.
I agree that a lot of it is hacked pretty bad, but I'm hoping to sort through it. For the moment I'm looking at sorting out all the major mechanical issues, then cosmetics. I am going to clean up most of engine now though, as I'd rather not have to pull anything major off after I get it running...atleast until I get the itch.

Body kits aren't really my thing either, but I decided that I could live with this one for what lies under it. As far as the paint goes, it doesn't look bad, but they didn't paint the door jams, under hood, or trunk. They then spray painted the engine bay and most of the things in it black. It looks sloppy and they didn't clean it first so a lot of its soft. I'll attend to it some time in the future when the engine bay is momentarily empty.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts