The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird popping/sputtering/backfiring? on accel/cruise...

SmoothCustomer

Well I'm having lots of problems with my charging system so after installing a new alternator and having it die in a parking lot, I proceed to install a new battery then push start it. As I'm driving around for a while trying to charge it I notice an increasingly loud noise that sounded like a "pop" almost like a backfire but it didn't seem loud enough and it was doing it a ton. Base timing is right on and another reason I'm thinking backfire is because it only did it while I was accelerating, or maintaining my speed. It didn't seem to always do it while I was decelerating. Any ideas?
Thanks

dmj

Time to do a boost leak check. this happened to me about 3 weeks ago same symptoms on acceleration only.turned out to be loose intercooler pipe.

^+1 I just had this problem last week, sounds like a leak to me. I had an upper tbolt clamp that was bent and it caused a leak. Do a boost leak test.

SmoothCustomer

Thanks guys! I bet you anything you are right and I probably don't even have to do the test. I just had my upper intercooler pipe off and I new putting it on that it seemed a little weak.

Id still do a boost leak test, I had to order throttle body seals, thats where I found another small leak. It wouldnt hurt to at least do a leak test becasue even though you feel the clamps may be on and evertyhing is tight there isnt no guarantee.

SmoothCustomer

Alright well I pulled in my driveway today and I noticed that my exhaust was chilling on the ground because it fell off right in front of the muffler. Bad times because I can't afford an exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned