The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car wont start

My vr4 wouldn't start this morning, and when i turned the key forward to ty, the relay thaT is up under the passenger side dash clicks. What is that relay and could that be the problem?

BoostedAWD91

That is the MPI relay which if its not working will cause the car not to start. If u need one i have one $10

14bCrazy

The ecu makes a click. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Does it keep clicking? I mean hell it could be a lot of things. Do you have enough voltage?

Could be the igniter on the manifold, I had that happen once to me. NO spark.

1990ggsxnj

Could also be the ECU, has it been checked? With any possibility of this, it should always be checked. Even if work was done recently. I wouldn't want to spend the money on another ecu and it's easy enough to drop it down and take a look. Could very possibly be the mpi relay. I've had it happen, but have also with the same car had bad caps. I've noticed a few friends that had the MPI relay go bad also find problems later on with their ECU. May be related, may not be. Doesn't hurt to make sure.

Last edited:

Wizardawd

Guys, even a bad MPI relay will still allow the car to turn over. It sounds like it's not even doing that (correct me if im wrong). So, check your battery terminals for a good connection, ensure that the clutch start switch is working (operate it manually and listen for a click with the key on) then consider a starter problem.

And the MPI relay always clicks on when you try to start it, you often don't hear it because the car is usually turning over at that time. Now, if it is clicking rapidly or erratically, then yes....it could be an ECU issue. But, again you can actually even turn the car over without an ECU plugged in, just won't fire.

Wiz

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

yeah thats a good question, does the engine turn or does the relay just click and nothing else

Have you checked your lower starter-interface clutchswitch? The plastic insert cracks and drops out on the floor, so the switch doesn't get pressed in far enough to work. You can unplug the switch to bypass it.

ok so I dont think its the MPI relay thats bad. I tried to start it again today and i get a new clicking sound coming from the starter. It sound like it could be my starter solenoid. I really dont wanna pull it off, so is there a way to test it on the car? If so what is it? The ecu is good and i have dsmlink if that makes any difference. The battery connection is good. I haven't checked the clutch switch. How do i bypass it, cuz i want to do that anyways lol

toybreaker

iconoclast
Unplug the clutch down switch

If you look at one of the last pictures here:
click
you can see the white connector next to the lower clutchswitch that you need to unplug.

if it is your starter just get a pry bar and a hammer and give it a couple smacks while someone cranks it.. if it is the starter usually it will start that way

1990ggsxnj

Agreed. Have done that with multiple cars (yet none of them a DSM or Vr4, odd) and it seems to work. Especially if the car had been sitting for a while.

either the selonoid or the armature on the motor is locked up. Couple smacks while cracking will usually free it up for a min, but they are easy enough to replace that I just get one with a lifetime warranty from autozone in fact I am parting out my vr4 and I have a starter with warranty from vautozone and I can give you the phone number to use if it transfers out o state and all..

sorry i haven't been on in a while. I just moved so i didn't have internet till today lol. How in the worl do i whack the starter?! I cant get anything back there

SmoothCustomer

Quoting customf4i:
either the selonoid or the armature on the motor is locked up. Couple smacks while cracking will usually free it up for a min, but they are easy enough to replace that I just get one with a lifetime warranty from autozone in fact I am parting out my vr4 and I have a starter with warranty from vautozone and I can give you the phone number to use if it transfers out o state and all..

How much are you selling that starter for?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned