The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Using a 2nd Gen MAF.

I guys I see a lot of you guys ues the 2ng gen MAF. How hard is it to wire this up and how much better is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

4thStroke

Hit up 1uglygalant on here, he might have an adapter and he is great to deal with. With the adapter, its plug and play.

I use ECMLink to compensate for the 2g MAF, I think an SAFC gets the job done, too. You might want to search a bit before you dive into it though.

The 2g MAF is easier to work with and opens up intake possibilities. Some have said that the 1g MAF is better, but I havent worked with my 1g MAS enough to know. I did hit 430awhp with the 2g MAS and the car drove great.

The Evo MAF is another option that is good for a lot of power and good driveability, adapters are available for that one as well.

MM Thanx I accually may have a EVO 8 MAF a parted out my 04 after I was pushed into a wall at 110 mph.

4thStroke

I would just use that MAF then. Get the adapter from 1uglygalant and figure out what you need to do for fuel compensation and you should be set.

Just as an example, guys tend to hit fuel cut on a 1G/GVR-4 MAS on the stock turbo at 16-18psi on a cool night (with no injectors/fuel control to fool the ECU). Compare that with a 2G MAS, which has gone 10s in the 1/4mi. You're realistically looking at 2600+ Hz and 50lb/min before the 2G MAS starts dropping counts. I like knowing my MAS is still accurately metering the air at close to 500whp.

In addition to the higher MAF count capabilities, the 2G MAS is far less restrictive than a 1G. Is it still an intake restriction? Sure, but at the 300-400whp level, I doubt it's huge. If you're going GT30R or bigger, I'd start thinking about a GM MAS. Otherwise, the 2G MAS is a great, inexpensive upgrade.

You will need some sort of fuel control to compensate for the difference in MAS calibrations, however, as 1G cars tend to run a bit lean since the 2G MAS flows a good bit more. I think some guys just strap on 550cc injectors to compensate, but I'd recommend an AFC at a minimum.

Bill

I think I'm gonna get the 2nd gen MAF and wire adapter as I dont have my old EVO one. Probaly sold it..LOL But anyway I'm running 650cc's, a wally and big 16g at 20 psi I will be sending my emprom over to get a programed next week. So everthing will be good to go when my tranny and t case go in.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also were can I get the wire adapter??

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I make 2g and 3g/Evo adapter wiring harnesses and have them in stock ready to ship. PM if you want one.

Yea but I'm not looking for crazy power just 400whp or so. So I'm gonna go 2nd gen MAF. I was reading over on DSM tuners that the 2nd gen is good for 400whp. Thats plenty for me.. My EVO had 373whp and was more than enough fun 11.89.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1990ggsxnj

Well why would you even ask if you're (knowingly) limiting yourself and have decided on the 2g maf anyways?! Sheesh!

Anyways, glad you made up your mind. There's a nice FP intake fitted for the 2g in the F/S thread by Throughfaith323. Looks decent if you're looking.

Last edited:

Accually bought it from him about 10 mins ago, Great guy BTW.. OH I just read about the G-MAF and 2nd gen this am right before I posted that.. I still was'nt sure. But atleast I am now. Just want the car to be right... LOL

1990ggsxnj

Yea, bought a few parts off of him and have been trying to see his ride after some mods that he's done. We live within 1.25 hours of the other, and usually stop by when I'm picking parts up from Nate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned