The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gear oil and engine oil?

ok so tomorrow im buying a 91 GVR4 and i think im going to use 10w-40 engine oil and 75w-90 gear oil. my questions are how many quarts does the the engine, trans, transfer case, and rear end take? Do the trans, transfer case and rear end take the same gear oil? Do i have the right idea as far as the engine and gear oil weight?

turbowop

Whenever I change the oil/filter on my cars, it takes 4.5quarts to refill it back to the full dipstick line. 10w40 is fine and is what I use in my daily driver galant. In my more powerful galant I run 15w50.

Transfer case and rear end can use the same oil. It's good to use something heavy duty like Redline shockproof. Transmission oil is a little different since the oil also has to aid in shifting. Put in something too heavy duty and it's difficult to shift, something too light and it won't protect the gears as well. Search the site for people's opinions about what they like for transmission oil, as they're widely varied. I personally use Neo RHD. I don't remember the capacities for the tranny/xfer case/rearend off the top of my head, sorry.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned