The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ksports

971of1000

I have an opportunity to buy some ksport kontrol pros for a 1g awd. I was wondering if they would work on my gvr4?

i would say no since they make specific coilovers for the gvr4 but could be wrong.

NateCrisman

Quoting 971of1000:
I have an opportunity to buy some ksport kontrol pros for a 1g awd. I was wondering if they would work on my gvr4?

They should work fine, other than the rear springs will be on the short side so you will likely end up running with the adjustment threaded nearly to the top.

you'll end up with an adjustment range from -3" drop to -8" drop, and obviously anything more than 4" lower is just "tire touching wheel well".

atc250r

Staff member
The problem is that when you run them all the way to the top there will be no droop to the rear suspension if they're anything like the DSM Teins that a lot of guys used. I put one on the lift and the rear wheel only dropped about an inch, maybe two. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you hit a whoop in the road and the rear tires pretty much lose contact with the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Buy the right ones for the GVR4 if you feel you must have coil overs.

John

gtluke

yeah get the right ones for our cars. just because you can make it look right doesn't mean they work right.

turbowop

Quoting atc250r:
The problem is that when you run them all the way to the top there will be no droop to the rear suspension if they're anything like the DSM Teins that a lot of guys used. I put one on the lift and the rear wheel only dropped about an inch, maybe two. That doesn't sound like a big deal until you hit a whoop in the road and the rear tires pretty much lose contact with the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Buy the right ones for the GVR4 if you feel you must have coil overs.

John

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif The spring being adjusted to the top of the threads isn't going to reduce droop at all. Droop is based on shock shaft/body length, not spring size or adjustment. The springs aren't locked into the top hat or the bottom seat, so the shaft can droop independently. I would worry more about coil bind during compression if they are adjusted that high up the threads.

The reason the DSM Teins have so little droop is probably due to the fact that the overall assembly is shorter.

Last edited:

Brianawd

With Ksports they have adjustable shock body's. So you raise and lower the car with out losing any travel. You use the springs adjustment to corner weight the car.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
The spring being adjusted to the top of the threads isn't going to reduce droop at all. Droop is based on shock shaft/body length, not spring size or adjustment.

Its a combination of a shorter overall assembly (which I assume they do to keep some suspension travel while at the same time lowering the car) and then cranking the the spring adjuster up to make up for the spring being too soft for a GVR4 which pushes the too short strut to the top of its travel. I don't see why the K-Sport DSM strut would be any longer than the Tein one (but I could be wrong), so I would guess the problem would be the same. You can alleviate some of the problem by putting a stiffer spring in and allowing the back to sit a couple of inches lower but that brings other issues into play like ground clearance and what not.

John

NateCrisman

Im pretty sure the difference between the "for GVR4" and "for 1g DSM" Ksport coilover kit is only the length and spring rate on the rear spring. The shock shaft travel and body length are going to be the same as the 1g awd rear shock. Thus having the same "droop" or negative travel regardless of the ride height setting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned