The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Painting trim on tail lights.

I will be receiving some 89 tails to put on my 92 and want to paint the chrome trim pieces black most likely a gloss black. Was wondering what some of you have done to clean them up and paint them. Whats the method you used so I dont see chipping in the near future. I have an idea but just want to check in with you all.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
In my younger days, I used some blackout tape material for this type of purpose. Worked good, but will require cutting to width. It is more of a satin black, but would probably match the rest of the trim on the car better.

Otherwise, scuff and paint.

jepherz

Staff member
+1 on iceman's comment. Use 3m trim tape. Else, if you really want to paint, you'll have to scuff it with scotchbrite and soapy water, and use a good adhesion promoter like Bulldog.

Good information guys. Ive never heard of the blackout tape material. Does local auto parts stores sell this or is it something I have to order?

Update: I ran over the auto parts to see if they carried some stuff similar to what you are talking about. I found some 3m black duct tape, comes in a small roll. While I was there I was thinking... how do you make the tape go around the edges without causing any sloppiness?

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

I used blue painters tape to cover the lenses of my 89 tails and then painted the trim black. Came out great.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting KevinDunaway:
Good information guys. Ive never heard of the blackout tape material. Does local auto parts stores sell this or is it something I have to order?

Update: I ran over the auto parts to see if they carried some stuff similar to what you are talking about. I found some 3m black duct tape, comes in a small roll. While I was there I was thinking... how do you make the tape go around the edges without causing any sloppiness?

It's plastic, so you can stretch it around bends. Sort of like electrical tape. I used the 3m trim tape on my chrome stripping on one of my cars. If you can picture the contour of the tape around the corner of the front/rear bumper, I can tell you that there are no wrinkles or anything.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned