The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter feel options

Kenny_Kline

As sad is it may sound, the best shifting cars I have ever owned or driven have been Hondas or a 420A 2G eclipse. Everytime I mod a DSM, the shifting doesn't feel as accurate or as fast. Put me in my 07 Si and I can whip right through the gears with that short throw setup. I just dont understand it.

Today I bought a 1G shifter for the galant. I am hoping this will reduce the throw but I have a feeling its not going to be as much as I want. I am looking for a flick of the wrist type shifting. I installed the solid bushings in the plate on the galant and the solid bushings in the linkage at the transmission.

What is the shortest throw shifter out there for our cars? I have never been able to bang gears like I do in other cars. Its getting annoying

Muskrat

I never liked the feel of a 1g shifter.

Right now I'm actually running a 3000GT shifter, I think. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as the JNZ shifter, just with the pin unmodified.

If you want to try I think you'll need:
1) Shifter from 3000GT
2) 3000GT Pivot (swings side to side, and is taller to accommodate the longer shifter)
3) 3000GT return spring
4)I'm not sure, because it was originally installed on my car when I bought it (but poorly) but you might need some shims for the pivot.

You'll have to bore the bushing on the shift linkage to .4" (I used a 25/64" drill bit and used the flutes to ream it out the extra amount)

turbowop

The 1g shifter doesn't really shorten the throw, it just shortens the height out of the console. If you want a true shorter throw, grab the Mofugas style shifter that JNZ sells. I have one on 503 and it's waaaay shorter than the 1g unit in 1051.

Last edited:

Just installed the jnz short shifter with shifter plate bushings today. Its got a really nice feel to it, but not as short enough throws that I was expecting from it.

mikus

i like a 1G more than a mofugas personally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but neither sound like they'd be what you want. That said, teh stock shifter is horrible

4thStroke

I had the 1g lever, then bought the JNZ piece. I have the VR4 specific shifter. The throw is shorter and your wrist isnt put at an akward angle in 2nd gear. I hated slamming 2nd with the 1g lever, it was just too short for my preference.

Have you replaced the bushings where the cable connects to tranny linkage? Roller blade bearings are a popular, cheap upgrade.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned