The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What spools faster?? small 16g or Evo 3 16g

I'm not a newbie but this seems like a newbie question. i know that the internals on a Evo are lighter...Thats why i ask...

I never logged and recorded the difference but I can tell you it's negligible. The power difference is very noticeable though, so I'd go Evo 3 16g all day long.

Quoting RvlutionMtrsport:
I never logged and recorded the difference but I can tell you it's negligible. The power difference is very noticeable though, so I'd go Evo 3 16g all day long.

never had a small 16g so i wouldnt know. I just know that i can make a soild 20psi at 3k and soild 25 at 3300 all the way to redline.

I just replcaed my small 16g with an evo 3 and I can't tell a difference in spool up. The evo 3 definately pulls harder though.

ktmrider

^^ +1, for the setup I am running ( 2.5" TB, non-RS FMIC, switch to FP Race mani at same time ) the E3 spools 500rpm sooner and has no boost dropoff at higher RPM's compared to the S16g. This was with both at 17psi.

Armitage

What am I doing wrong? I only see 10 psi by 3000rpm on my Evo3!

Maybe the gianormous intercooler is working against me here? Turbo is new, motor is healthy/rebuilt recently.

mistaVR4

Sounds like you've got a massive boost leak somewhere bro. Have you tried searching for leaks? Couplers, TB gasket, etc..?

Armitage

Quoting mistaVR4:
Sounds like you've got a massive boost leak somewhere bro. Have you tried searching for leaks? Couplers, TB gasket, etc..?

Pressure tested the whole system to 20 psi. No leaks except the usual little one at the throttlebody shaft o-rings.

Rausch

^ Car running rich or something maybe? Timing good?

ktmrider

Quoting Armitage:
What am I doing wrong? I only see 10 psi by 3000rpm on my Evo3!

Maybe the gianormous intercooler is working against me here? Turbo is new, motor is healthy/rebuilt recently.

Possibly, I don't recognize the IC brand listed in your link. Any idea on the pressure drop?
Bar and plate designs are usually better on pressure drop, ie less than tube/fin, but have lower efficiency.
Also the size of your IC piping can impact things, I am still running stock diameter ( 1 7/8" or 2" ).

Last edited:

The small 16g does spool quicker. I currently have a small 16g on my talon, a big 16g on my Tsi, and i had a evo3 16g on my GSX. The differences in spool times are very very small. A big 16g spools just about as quick as an evo3 16g, but a small 16g spools a little faster. Overall though, like it was already said, the evo3 16g hits and pulls a lot harder. Its much more worth it

464/2K

Switch to a smaller core, there was a link floating around about ic's affecting spool time some time ago. Iirc top to bottom flow was the best for spool time.

Armitage

Quoting VRausch4:
^ Car running rich or something maybe? Timing good?

Probably running a little rich. I've tuned the partial throttle curves to get the fuel trims as close to 100 as possible. I haven't tuned for WOT yet since replacing the motor/turbo, but have all of the compensations in Jeff's chip for my setup.

Quoting ktmrider:
Possibly, I don't recognize the IC brand listed in your link. Any idea on the pressure drop?
Bar and plate designs are usually better on pressure drop, ie less than tube/fin, but have lower efficiency.
Also the size of your IC piping can impact things, I am still running stock diameter ( 1 7/8" or 2" ).

It's the I/C that was made by AWDNOT2 and later sold as a package a while back with the Dave Brode pipes. I'm using custom hot side pipes (2") and have fitted ETS cold side pipes (2.5") on there now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts